We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Continental Airlines

England
Level Contributor
93 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Continental Airlines

Hi,

How good/bad are Continental? We have had some really negative coments. These include having to pay for alcohol, poor leg room, rude staff, no seat- back entertainment.

We have never flown with them before and are getting a little nervous. How do they compare to BA, Virgin or Delta?

Thanks

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,572 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,043 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
571 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
414 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Continental Airlines

We fly Continental fairly often. To me, it's really no different than Delta etc. In fact, I would say that for us, Continental is "on time" more frequently. We flew Delta back in March and had a horrendous time on our outbound flight. We are flying Continental in August.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
14,570 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Continental Airlines

Is there a carrier that offers free alcohol outside of First Class?

I've mostly flown Continental domestically (in the US) and have no significant complaints compared to other carriers. On-board amenities like seat back TV, etc, seem to be connected to how long the flight is; the longer flights seem to have more "extras."

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Continental Airlines

I fly Continental exclusively and with the rare exception, the employees are excellent. I have always had to pay for alcohol (perish the thought!) unless bumped to first class. Leg room is pretty standard for U.S. carriers - go to seatguru.com to check that out for your particular type of aircraft. Seat back entertainment is available on certain types of aircraft. You can find that information on Continental's website if you care to. You can get all the amenities you wish for if you buy a first class ticket AND it is on the correct type of aircraft.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,628 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Continental Airlines

Flown with Continental to the US a few times but never to Vegas as there is a direct alternative. It's really a choice of convenience versus money and the individual has to decide. They are ok, good as any other main US carrier.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
57,141 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Continental Airlines

You're going to see those some complaints about any airline if you start looking, I wouldn't be nervous about Continental. They're like all the others, really.

None of the airlines give you much legroom in coach. Most the USA based airlines charge for alcohol. (Delta gives free wine and beer on trans-Atlantic routes, liquor for purcahse).

Remember the 95% of people who had no issues on their flight rarely post anything about it. Enjoy your holiday, the flight is just a small part of the hassle in getting there, it will be forgotten 5 minutes after you land.

Edited: 02 May 2011, 17:45
everett wa
Level Contributor
809 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Continental Airlines

Just got back from Cancun and I would say it was a great flight..and a great airline..Im not picky.As long as it gets me from A to B,

Edinburgh Scotland
Level Contributor
905 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Continental Airlines

Flown Continental 5 times from Edinburgh to the US and found them fine. Always had seat back in flight entertainment system on transatlantic sector of flight. Didn't think any airlines gave free alcohol nowadays. Staff were corurteous and food was okay. As I had joined their mileage programme I am flying to Vegas this year using air miles. Only having to pay tax which was only £89.00 so result.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Continental Airlines

I flew from Bristol (UK) to Vegas last August via Newark, and I was delayed at Bristol for 2 hours due to a problem with the plane but this could happen with any airline. In fact the year before I was delayed by even more with Virgin from Gatwick only getting into Vegas at 6:30pm! Continental was much better than Virgin in my opinion even being indirect. The food was actually edible and had seat back tv's with recent movies. Yes you have to pay for alcohol but that doesn't really bother me as it only dehydrates you on a long flight, When I did have a drink on my Virgin flight it was no name brand Vodka with virgin cola, no thanks .Flight attendants were much friendlier than Virgin too. Everybody will have a different opinion on Airlines as your experiences will rarely be the same but I was very happy with Continental and I'm flying with then again from Norway in 3 weeks.

England
Level Contributor
93 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Continental Airlines

Thanks for your replies. Maybe we are spoilt in Europe because with the exception of budget airlines like Wizz Air all carriers offer free alcohol. It is more the issues with leg-room. We were told that it was a legal minimum, We flew back in February with Delta and the pitch was really generous. BA and Virgin also, had excellent leg-room. We haven't booked or paid for these flights so perhaps shouldn't complain but obviously want a comfortable flight (15 hours).

Thanks again

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Continental Airlines

Hi

I have used Continental a few times, flying to Las Vegas via Houston. They were pretty good imo. Seat back TV on Transatlantic etc. I thought they were on a level with BA but without the free bar nowadays. I must admit I think it's 3 years or so since I last used them but I would certainly use them in future if they were offering the flight's I was looking for.

Clive