We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50th Birthday and Cosmo question

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
50th Birthday and Cosmo question

Hi all. We are coming to Vegas for my 50th b'day and are currently booked at cosmo (we are Marriott members so used our points). The more I read the more I am wondering if I chose the right place for a special birthday! We used to be Harrah's people and now have been exclusively MGM properties and we've always enjoyed ourselves at both places (although prefer MGM right now). I mean we can drink and gamble with the best and are very social, but I'm concerned that we will feel out of place with the younger crowd? For those that have been there that are in our age range, how did you feel there?

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,104 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 50th Birthday and Cosmo question

When? There are a number of LV hotels that I won't stay at on the weekends or during the Summer. And Cosmo is one of them. Not because they don't want me, but because it isn't what I'm looking for in Las Vegas.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 50th Birthday and Cosmo question

We are actually there from a Wedneday to a Monday so yes on the weekend, which is exactly why I am questioning it. I admit the draw for me is the balcony (and hey the fact that it's free doesn't hurt lol), but I'm just not seeing many (if any) reviews of people that have stayed there near our age.

las vegas
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 50th Birthday and Cosmo question

I'm 40 and felt just fine. There are places you can go to escape if the younguns drive you crazy. The 2nd floor of the chandelier bar is quieter and so is vesper. There are plenty of diverse restaurants to go to. I wouldn't hang at book and stage while a band was playing. It's all what you make of it. We had great conversations with our bartenders who were definitely younger than us but made us feel completely welcome. I was at the bar with my MIL and she is definitely older than you and she felt just fine.

boylston ma
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 50th Birthday and Cosmo question

My husband, 52, and I 50, stayed at Cosmo last month. we were there Mon-Friday and enjoyed it very much. There seemed to be a mix of all ages. We played bj w/ some younger guys and I also played bj with an 80 year old guy at the next table. The day pool was not yet open but we would have avoided that anyway. We are not huge partiers but tend to enjoy a livelier crowd and still enjoy staying out late when we go out. After all we may be fifty but we're not dead yet! I think you will enjoy it, not sure how the weekend will be as we left Fri night.

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,231 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 50th Birthday and Cosmo question

Happy Birthday!

We are 50+ somethings and although we haven't stayed there yet, we have reservations upcoming for 3 nights. The balcony is a definate draw, and honestly, I doubt we will spend much time in the room.

I will report back on how they treat "the older folk" (of whose club I refuse to admit to belong)

Free is always good!

Edited: 18 May 2011, 00:56
Atlanta
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 50th Birthday and Cosmo question

Thanks all! Really appreciate the replies! Not real concerend about the pools since in all these years going to vegas we have yet to go to the pool so seems unlikely this year! Em would love to hear how you like it when you get back.

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 50th Birthday and Cosmo question

The balcony was by far the best part of staying at the Cosmopolitan. The public areas of the hotel were not for me and I'm only 33. But I'm admittedly a very old 33. LOL Happy Birthday by the way!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 50th Birthday and Cosmo question

Lol Starla, and I consider myself a young 50! Uggghhh can't believe I am saying I am almost 50 really hard to believe!

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 50th Birthday and Cosmo question

I know a group of women (ages -early 20s to mid 60) who had a great time at the Cosmo- but they were there during the week.

On the Game Room at Cosmo thread, Brandon9999 (April 6,7- you can look it up) posted:

Just dont go there on weekend nights, the place is loaded with too many drunk kids and is a bit out of controll.

I then posted this:

lasvegasweekly.com/news/…

Then he posted:

haha, that is a great link, and yes, we saw that exact scene every 15 minutes, and we were there at like 9pm, actually the only place you can get away from these people are in the slot machine banks, they are all loaded up at the clubs and bars, all of security was literally dealing with people that were passed out. cosmo is a great addition to the strip but I can only handle it in small doses.

Of course, that is just one person's posts, but it sure would give me something to think about.

Canada
Level Contributor
848 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 50th Birthday and Cosmo question

I understand how you feel. My husband and I are both 51 and are staying at the Cosmo starting on Sunday. I have had second thoughts as well about keeping the reservation, but oh well, we'll give it a try. If we don't like the vibe, we just won't book there next time.