We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Was Long Hauled Today

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
Save Topic
Was Long Hauled Today

I know this has been discussed at length on here but figured I would post my experience in case anyone is interested. Arrived in Vegas the morning (its busy here this week). Got in the cab. Told the cab driver I need to go to the Bellagio. Didnt give him any directions. Driver proceeds to head through the tunnel to the interstate. As soon as this happens I pull up the traffic map and the Taxi Cab authority's phone number.

We pull into the B and the driver says, "That'll be $28".

I respond "I dont think so".

Driver: "Is there a problem?" (looked like a deer caught in the headlights).

Me "Yep, you cant take the tunnel unless I ask you to"

Driver "But its Sunday and the strip is busy"

Me, "Yes but according to the traffic map there is no traffic on Koval or Paradise"

Driver "Its Sunday and that can get busy"

Me "Its simple, I pay you $20 or call the Taxi Cab Authority"

Driver, "But you owe me $28"

Me, "Ok no problem" I start dialing the phone at this point

Driver "Just give me the $20"

BTW, I come to Vegas 3 or 4 times a year. About half the time I take a limo and the other half use cabs. I forgot to set up a limo for this trip. Attempted to get one at the airport and was told it was a 45 minute wait for one. This is the 2nd time I've been long hauled. Didnt know any better the first time as it was one of my first trips to Vegas.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Was Long Hauled Today

Thats classic. Good work!

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Was Long Hauled Today

Since it was obviously so important to you to not pay the "tunnel rate" , why not request specific directions ahead of time??

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Was Long Hauled Today

A rider shouldn't have to ask not to be long hauled. It is against regulations for a driver to do that. Do you ask that a cook not spit in your food?

West Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Was Long Hauled Today

$8 isn't gonna ruin my trip.I just get a kick out of his calling the taxi Cab Authority charade. Obviously the $8 meant alot to him.

Ohio
Level Contributor
6,098 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Was Long Hauled Today

These cabbies must be successfull 95% of the time pulling this long hauling OR the Cab companies insist on them trying to pull it.

Burbank
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Was Long Hauled Today

"Didnt know any better the first time as it was one of my first trips to Vegas."

You should have known better this time. Sounds like a personal sting operation for jollies.

"A rider shouldn't have to ask not to be long hauled." - Agreed, so be proactive and tell drivers what you DO want. No need to keep quiet and then complain (or brag) after the fact.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Was Long Hauled Today

lol @ jollies

buffalo
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Was Long Hauled Today

i always tell the driver no tunnel once he took it anyways so no tip for him but to go past that is just stupid. I usually bring 3,000 to gamble so worrying about five or ten dollars doesnt really make any sense to me.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
637 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Was Long Hauled Today

Maybe the driver was right about congestion on other routes. Anyway, I guess you taught him an $8 lesson - congrats..

Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Was Long Hauled Today

I can't believe that the consensus here is that the passenger was out of line with his actions.

This driver broke regulation in attempt to scam the customer.

The cab authority says the trip should be somewhere around 16.50. The guy paid $20 so theoretically he paid the guy a tip. I would have been perfectly fine with offering him $15.

Also, why are the majority of you fine with being scammed out of "a small amount of money"? That makes no sense at all.

Edited: 23 May 2011, 04:50