We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying with Southwest

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
flying with Southwest

Hello

I will be flying out of Buffalo to Vegas on Southwest, I have read that they do not assign seats, anyone have any comments regarding Southwest flights.

Boston
Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying with Southwest

That is correct. You can pick the seats yourself. It is first come first serve basis. My suggestion- get there early.

Austin, TX.
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying with Southwest

If you are "ticketless" go on the SW website the day before you fly and print out your boarding pass. You will recieve either an "A", "B" or "C" pass. There are 45 passes in each group. SW boards by "groups".

The idea is to get an "A" pass so you can be assured of a decent cjhoice of seats. If you get stuck with a "C" pass, you will almost always have a middle seat and if travelling with someone else, you will be split up.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: flying with Southwest

Are all of Southwest flights ticketless?

We will be using them in August. So the best thing to do is to get the boarding pass. There are 6 of us going & we would all like to sit together.

4. Re: flying with Southwest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2006, 11:45
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flying with Southwest

Southwest does not assign seats first come first serve. And I've noticed lately that their planes kind of smell funny on the inside. You can print out your boarding passes 24 hours in advanced. If you like having your seat assigned you might try America West they cost about the same and you can choose your seat # online. I fly with both but preferr America West.

http://www.americawest.com/awa/default.aspx

Suntree, Florida
Level Contributor
458 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flying with Southwest

Prosy,

I fly SW twice a month. (it's the only airline I will fly). Call the 800# in advance and request seats. ie: two parties together, exit row, travel with kids. There reservationists are terrific and have always given me the seats I request.

Austin, TX.
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flying with Southwest

Ariesfire: You aren't flying Southwest Airlines in the US if they are "assigning" seats.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,647 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flying with Southwest

Ariesfire: You must be confusing Southwest with one of the more professional airline operations. The requests you're talking about would be easily granted by almost every major airline in the country ,except Southwest.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,771 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flying with Southwest

I guess there will always be two kinds of fliers- those who love the Soouthwest policy of first come first served seating and those who are offended and insulted by it. We happen to be in the first group. After years of flying Continental, AA and America West, we took Southwest because of a bargain fare and they are now our airline of choice.

We much prefer scoping out the plane as we board and picking the best seats for us , based on who is already seated. And we also have found that Southwest boards their planes much more quickly this way. On one flight that was late coming in to our connecting city, the plane got right back on schedule with boarding taking 15 minutes. I suppose we feel this way because we make it a point to print out passes to get in the A group.

That said, I feel we should all vote with our pocketbooks- those who really object to this practice should choose from among the other airlines and leave Southwest to those who like the practice. If it results in empty planes ( which I suspect it won't) Southwest will change.

Frankly, I wonder why the other carriers don't adopt this seating practice as well. It seems so much more efficient than crawling over others to get to a pre assigned seat and standing in long lines inside the planes as people struggle with luggage in front of you.

I also must say that outside of Continental, Southwest is the only airline that gives any substantial food during the long Vegas flight- and even though the snack box is less than I would prefer it is far more than AA or AWest- and I think even better than those dried out little sandwiches on Continental.

Just my opinion, but I think based on their success their are more people picking than panning Southwest- and in our particular market we have lots of choices of Airline.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
2,207 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flying with Southwest

I will be flying Southwest for the first time. Where would I print out boarding passes in Vegas 24 hours before my flight home?