We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SW Earlybird concern

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Round Rock, Texas
Level Contributor
563 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
SW Earlybird concern

We are going to Vegas in August and booked my flight separate from the SW Vaca deal (flight/hotel) for my gf. I can do the Early bird check in, but since she is on the SW Vaca deal, there will not be a way to purchase one for her.

Would it be an issue to "save" a seat for her?

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,663 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SW Earlybird concern

Depends on how full the plane is, how late she boards, and most importantly WHICH SEAT. If you want to sit in the aisle and save her the middle seat next to you nobody will say anything. But if you want to save an aisle seat or one of the most sought after exit row seats with more leg room, you might have a problem. We know what the crew would say about saving a seat (they follow the rules) so the question is are you willing to argue with other passengers?

Round Rock, Texas
Level Contributor
563 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SW Earlybird concern

True, thanks. just going for the experience not the fights!

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: SW Earlybird concern

I agree with kt on this one. Some clowns on these boards say they buy 1 EB and save seats for others in their group just to save the cash. This is NOT what you are trying to do.

Grab an aisle or window and see if you can save the middle. Ironically the middle seats towards the front of the plane fill last. I'd also suggest that she get her boarding pass as early as possible, but I'm not sure that I know how package bookings work. If she can get her boarding position at 24 hours prior like the rest of the passengers, then she should.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
41,663 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SW Earlybird concern

Also ask how full your flight is when you get there. It does make a big difference. Our flight home last week had 20 empty seats, so we were pretty sure no one would sit in the middle. Most people are pretty reasonable.

The one thing you won't be able to do is save overhead luggage space. Once it starts getting full people have to start putting their bags wherever they can.

Austin
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: SW Earlybird concern

I'm on an SWA package deal in just two weeks. You still have to check in online to get your "security documents" and check in. Even though I already have my ticket, I still have to get the boarding pass. Somewhere during that process (probably the beginning of it), there should be an option to get the EB checkin.

But honestly, no one will say a word to you about saving your girlfriend a seat. The problem will be saving her space in the overhead bin if she has a carry-on.

Woohoo! Two weeks for me!!

Round Rock, Texas
Level Contributor
563 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SW Earlybird concern

ok thanks. we will come up with a game plan once it gets closer. but the FAQs on Sw.com is pretty helpful

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,738 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SW Earlybird concern

No problem saving a seat. It's when someone gets on and wants to save eight seats that people get cranky. It's sort of like the movie theater!

Also, while it's always worth a try asking how full the flight is, I have noticed in recent months that the Southwest Staff ALWAYS seems to say the flight is fully booked (even when it isn't). Not sure if it's some new sort of standard party line or what, but it's almost comical. I was flying Baltimore to Manchester about a month ago, and not only did they tell me it was full when I asked at the counter, but they announced it was fully booked when we started boarding. It turns out there wasn't even a "C" Group, the flight was so empty!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
257 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: SW Earlybird concern

If your gf will be near a computer (or smartphone, I think; not sure how the Vacations site works) 24 hours before, she should just check in then (I start trying a few minutes before). It's possible she'll get a pretty good pass anyway -- if anything in the A/B, it's unlikely the middle seats will be filling before then anyway.

It's actually possible she'll get a better number than you -- it's been reported to happen with people travelling together, one early bird, one not. If someone who had, say, A20, cancels their flight, it seems the next person to check in gets A20, even though others who checked in earlier, including EarlyBirds, have higher numbers. Unlikely, but possible. Just another SW quirk...

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it with just 2 people -- all you want is a specific middle seat for her; it's not like you want to save a whole row for a family of 6 or something.

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SW Earlybird concern

Just politely tell people that your wife has yet to board. I think anybody would understand that and find another seat. :)

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
238 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SW Earlybird concern

I agree with yourstarla...just be polite about it and most people will be fine. Sure you can get a knucklehead that wants the seat JUST to want it...but that's rare.