We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas to the Beach???

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Vegas to the Beach???

We have done the Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Red Rock, Death Valley tours. Have never seen the Pacific Ocean. Is it possible to take a day and drive to the Pacific? If so, which beach and what kind of time are we looking at? Thanks so much.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
7,895 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegas to the Beach???

Santa Monica is about 250 miles I think, maybe a bit less. Hit Google Maps and pick your spot.

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegas to the Beach???

I have to tell you - that is an exhausting day trip. I live just north of Santa Monica and it takes me five hours minimum to get home from Vegas. I'd suggest you spend the night somewhere, fly on Southwest, or skip it.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegas to the Beach???

Stay in LA for one night minimum. The first time I went to Vegas, it took 4 hours from LA and ten to get back. I was visiting a buddy and we went up for the Sat night.

I would suggest staying in Huntington Beach Area. Very nice, I find the bay area, Venice, Santa Monica sort of rough.

Definitely not a day trip.

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegas to the Beach???

Do NOT try this as a day trip. As soon as you get to the beach, you will feel as if it is time to pack up and leave. I think it would be impossible to relax.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,864 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegas to the Beach???

Newport is the closest beach not Santa Monica plus it's nicer in a nicer area of SoCal

But to get parked and on the sand with no stops or any traffic at all will take 4 hours.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegas to the Beach???

That would not be a day trip. If you want to see the Pacific take a vacation to CA

It's Vegas, if you decide to vacation there then stay there and enjoy. Surely you can find something to do

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegas to the Beach???

I agree with the others- it is not a day trip. At least not a day trip that will enable you to relax and enjoy yourself. Twice I went to LA and came back the same day (not for a beach or touristy thing) and it was no fun at all.

Calgary
Level Contributor
527 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegas to the Beach???

Deffos not a day trip take some time and atleast spend a day so its worth the 5 hr drive atleast sorry 10 counting on the way back aswell.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegas to the Beach???

Thank you all so much for the wise thoughts. We will be staying in Vegas and searching for a different day trip.

10. Re: Vegas to the Beach???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 07:18