We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is GC visit a Must?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is GC visit a Must?

Hey everyone,

Will be in LV in less than 2 weeks. We originally had a heli tour booked with Papillon but cancelled when I caught them misadvertising (my husband insisted that I cancel).

I've been looking at other options but I just don't know what to do. My husband would hate it if we spent so much money on a tour and then ended up hating the company we used (happened to us on a whale watching tour we took in Alaska).

So I was wondering if a going to the GC is even a must when you go to LV. I know everyone has varied opinions but to me going to the GC means being able to hike it and all like you see on the Travel Channel.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

Sam

LSS
Texarkana, TX
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is GC visit a Must?

No it's not a must. I have been to Vegas probably 10 or more times and never been to Grand Canyon. I am however planning a separate GC trip for late May.

mfj
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is GC visit a Must?

Yes, you MUST go - it's wonderful. If you can spare the time, hire a car and do it yourself over two days, or three if you're "going down" and will need the extra time. You can stay in well priced accommodation at Williams, which is about an hour from the GC. You can drive from Williams to the GC or take the train, which we didn't and regret - we will next time - it's supposed to be great.

Can't advise re hiking but I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice in that regard on the GC forum.

Bottom line - when you've seen it, you'll wonder how you ever considered not going.

las vegas nv
Level Contributor
29 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is GC visit a Must?

No, the GC isn't a must, but it is certainly worth a look and is something different to do while visiting. I have seen it from the ground and also from the air, and it is two different experiences. I can't remember which company I used when I went five years ago, but I think it was a small plane, not a helicopter. It only took a couple of hours, and the scenery (you also get a good look at Lake Mead and Hoover Dam) was spectacular. Whether or not you use your time that way depends on how many of the other Las Vegas activities and sights you want to do and see. Have a great visit!

Gods Country...
Level Contributor
763 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is GC visit a Must?

Its only a must if you like that sort of thing!! One mans meat and all that.

In my books its a must...at least once

We used Papillon on a couple of occasions and never had any problems - what was yours?

Pembroke Pines...
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is GC visit a Must?

The problem I had with Papillon was that when I called them because my confirmation time was different than what I selected they told me that I was booked out of Boulder city which isn't made clear on their website at all. When I booked I booked with the assumption that I was flying out of Vegas and not Boulder City. They made such a hassle out of $40 that they wanted to charge us to fly out of LV. They even admitted that their site was falsely advertising the tour that we selected but wanted to "investigate" my booking.

Austin, TX.
Level Contributor
4,889 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is GC visit a Must?

Skip the Grand Canyon as to do it right takes two fulls days minimum from Las Vegas.

Instead, rent a car and drive to Valley of Firs State Park for a half day and then drive down the two lane highway along the western edge of Lake Mead to Boulder City and Hoover Dam and at least drive over it and back. One day rental car should not cost more than $30-$40 total.

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is GC visit a Must?

It all depends on how long you'll be in Vegas. If you're there 3-5 days I wouldn't waste a day or 2 of your trip. If you're there 7 nights then you may want to go. The shortest trip is to the west rim, but you wont be hiking down there. If you want to go to the actual National Park and hike it then I'd give yourself a couple days.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
429 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is GC visit a Must?

Tough question, Sammy. My answer is "it depends." My trips to LV always include a day trip somewhere--desert, ghost towns, Hoover Dam, Red Rock, Zion, Valley of Fire, etc. I have many friends who have been to vegas many times and have no desire to leave the city. To each his own. As far as the Grand Canyon goes, you don't have to choose between a shorter aerial trip and a few days hiking and exploring it. These are different experiences and why not do both at different times? I have taken a small plane out of LV--I forget the name but it is well advertised in all of the magazines. Get the one that lands on the West Rim. The landing strip is on an Indian Reservation. You will get a good view of Hoover Dam and the GC on the way. Once on the ground, you can walk around on your own or take a bus to various vantage points. The experience is awesome! You can have a picnic type lunch provided there. It will take most of your day and well worth it. If you like it you can revisit the canyon on a future vacation from a total different vantage point. Sorry for the length here, have a great time.

9. Re: Is GC visit a Must?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2006, 01:08
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is GC visit a Must?

BUMP for FSWho. Go Gators!!!