We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Airmiles

Manchester England
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Airmiles

Has anyone 'mastered' the art of using 'Virgin's' frequent flyer airmiles to use towards the cost of a flight, or to 'upgrade' a flight? Is their airmiles program just one big con?. I tried ringing their call centre, I've spent a very long time online, using every date there is, and I have not been able to find a date for this year or next, when flights are available. My wife and I wanted to use our airmiles to 'upgrade' from economy to fly to Las Vegas, there appears to be no way that they will allow this to happen - and they don't seem to care!!

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,550 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,011 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
565 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Airmiles

You may also want to ask your question here.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Lots of advice expert advice in terms of what you're asking about can be found on that forum.

Ballyclare, United...
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Airmiles

Kenspeak

I have had the same experience. Thats why I took my business elswhere. Virgin IMO are living on past reputation.

Recent reviews seem to back this up also.

Vegas is an extremely popular route and discounts are highly unlikely. Good news however is that there are plenty of other operators on this route.

mpo

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Airmiles

Are you stuck with using Virgin or can you use any airline in the Star Alliance group? I have BMI miles but can use any airline in the group, Virgin included.

I was hoping that we could go EDI>MAN>LAS with Virgin but there doesn't seem to be availability at all. It's the same with Continental where we could go EDI>EWR>LAS but again there's nothing.

It looks as though we'll end up going EDI>LHR>SFO>LAS. It's a bit of a hike but as it'll only cost £353 for both of us return (not each) it's a few extra hours travelling that I don't mind spending! The £1000+ we'll save on flights can get chucked in a slot machine :)

You might be better off asking here.......

flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-flying-club-506/

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
76 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Airmiles

I always use my miles with no problems at all. Just booked a flight miles/money for 23rd Dec till 31st. Was more than half price the normal flight.

Not sure what number you are calling, but it can all be done on line and it shows all available flights.

Virgin also have a miles sale....have gone to NY a couple of times using full miles when they release this.

UK
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Airmiles

I regularly use miles plus money fares with Virgin. But Las Vegas is very popular and reward seats are difficult to come by.

There's lots of useful information on the dedicated Virgin Flyers website which is: http://v-flyer.com/

The forums are full of useful information and help on things like reward seats.

cornwall
Level Contributor
412 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Airmiles

I'm surprised that samb got a good deal as i've had the same experience with finding it almost impossible to use virgins miles to get any sort of upgrade.

I also find that if there is a miles plus money deal the saving is minimal whilst using lots of miles.

All in all i've just about given up on their ff plan and just look for the best deal on the net.

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
76 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Airmiles

2000 miles...£500....1 flight to vegas 23rd dec.

There are still lots of flights left.

Dorset UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Airmiles

I am booked to fly to Vegas in October with Virgin.

Before booking I had received an e-mail about using my 20,000 of my miles to upgrade to premium economy.

But when you look closer this upgrade is only available from certain fare classes and the cheapest fare that would allow use of miles to upgrade was £300 more expensive than the standard ecomony fare available to anyone on that flight.

I too have come to the conclusion that unless you build up an enormous balence of miles say because of flights paid for by your employer, then all the airlines reward schemes are not worth much.

St Albans, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Airmiles

I have used my air miles a lot for a few trips to New York all courtesy of Virgin air miles- but Las Vegas is notoriously difficult as there's only a few flights per week, and they ( Virgin Atlantic) pre sell a high percentage of their seats to Virgin Holidays. Might be worth going via LAX ?

Having said that, I have managed to book a couple of Premium economy round trips for 2 weeks time using air miles, BUT Virgin wont give me the option of upgrading even though there are upper class seats available for sale. Does anyone have experience of last minute upgrades? when do Virgin give up trying to sell the seats at full fare and take whatever money they can (such as selling upgrades) is the airport the best place? or couple of days before hand?

northants
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Airmiles

I have never had problems using airmiles with virgin . Well done sam great price for xmas .