We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to beat jet lag?

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
727 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to beat jet lag?

Hi

11 hour flight back in time from the UK.

Leave uk at noon arrive after 11 hours at 3pm. How do we beat the dreaded feeling of jet lag?

Both ways?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,572 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,039 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
571 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
milwaukee
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to beat jet lag?

when you land in vegas drink a 5 hour energy drink immediatly when you land, so you get that extra jolt when you land and try to stay awake until 10pm and dont sleep on your flight. On your flight back, do the opposite, make your wakeup call 2-3 hours earlier than normal the day you leave Vegas so you are super tired when you get on the flight back to the UK.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,799 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to beat jet lag?

Everybody has their own way of overcomimg the dreaded jet lag but a few things that have worked (at least partly) for me in the past include

Avoid too much alcohol on the flight but take plenty of water

Set your watch to LV time as soon as you get on the plane

Take something to occupy you on the flight such as a good book - don't rely on the IFE as it might not be working. Nothing worse than spending 11 hours looking at your watch.

Have a shower after you check into your room.

Avoid a large heavy meal on your first night.

Simple stick it out and stay up as late as you possibly can on the first night - it will benefit you on the following days/nights.

I personally never worry about jet lag on the return flight - I just let my body adjust as it sees fit.

TomC

New Jersey
Level Contributor
222 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to beat jet lag?

I would just stay up until 10pm or even later then get a good 8 hours of sleep. But being that you'll be in Las Vegas, why sleep at all?

4. Re: Best way to beat jet lag?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 June 2011, 23:35
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,410 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to beat jet lag?

There is a theory about not eating the day of travel and then having a meal at the regular lunch or supper hour of your destination and not the lunch or supper hour of home.

Vegas Baby
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to beat jet lag?

People sleep in Vegas?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to beat jet lag?

I just think it's awesome that you gain an extra 8 hours! (if my math is right) We fly from Chicago and make up 2 hours, and I think that's great...I'd love to get a few extra hours to spend in Vegas!

Brighton
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to beat jet lag?

Melatonin. You can't get it over here without a prescription but it's available on the shelf in Walgreen's.

United States
Level Contributor
22,778 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to beat jet lag?

For me, the key is to get to bed at a very reasonable hour the first night in Vegas. If I can make myself be in the bed by midnight or so and up by 9am or so, I'm usually good to go the entire trip. The trap I fall into sometimes is staying up late the first night and not getting much sleep and I'm tired much of the trip.

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
727 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to beat jet lag?

Walgreens? Lol.

Never thought of the extra time in LV! Think it's a case of staying awake for as long as possible?

No booze on flight as it makes me feel bad anyway.

Keep the 'sane' advice coming folks....

;)