We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mandaley Bay wants to walk me

San Diego
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Topic
Mandaley Bay wants to walk me

Hello I booked several months ago at Mandaley Bay using VIP services. i check in tomorrow and they just left me a message that they are oversold and want to walk me to MGM. I would prefer to stay at Mandaley as I have already purchased restaurant.com certificates for there, its easier to get to my meetings and for several other reasons. Should I call back and tell them I would not like to move or just show up tomorrow? Which option calling or just showing up increases my chances of staying at Mandaley

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,628 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,112 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
404 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,198 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mandaley Bay wants to walk me

I would call, and explain about their proximity to your meetings. What time are you supposed to check in? If it's on the earlier side, tell them to "walk" the hundreds of people who will be checking in after you instead. If you'll be arriving at midnight tomorrow night I'm afraid you might be sol.

San Diego
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mandaley Bay wants to walk me

arriving about 1PM so pretty early. Thanks

Florida
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mandaley Bay wants to walk me

Tell them to walk the family that is packing 5 kids in a queen to MGM.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mandaley Bay wants to walk me

Lots of people are going to be walked this weekend. Entire city over sold. Pretty much your choice is get walked or have no room. And as they have to pay for the night if you get walked, I would just roll with it.

Know that arriving early on a busy weekend does not help much.

San Diego
Level Contributor
206 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mandaley Bay wants to walk me

unfortunately them paying for room does not help since work is paying for it.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mandaley Bay wants to walk me

I would call & inquire as to what they are offering YOU in regards to the 'walk'. I understand the room charge isn't an issue to you (although it might score you brownie points at work LOL), but if they made it worth it to you in another manner.........

Meal credits in an amount that might buy you a dinner work might not cover?

Comped room credits for another trip?

Credit in a retail shop?

Any of those are something that will not cost them as much as the $$ value you receive for it. When we stayed at a hotel in Chicago for a conference about 6 years ago, they were oversold. They offered to shuttle us to a hotel across the street (about a 6 block walk), plus offered like 25,000 points in their 'program' - which at that time would have hooked me about 3 add'l nights in their lower ranked hotels. Unfortunately my co-worker was about 7 or 8 months pregnant at the time & she wanted to be able to just get back up to the room to rest if needed. I'm a good sport so we didn't get walked, but I remind her she owes me periodically. Altho she did do a 'bump' with me in Chicago so we each got a $300 flight credit last year......

The whole point to that is that even some other type of offer from them (in my case the program points) might be a good enough value to you to make it worthwhile.

Edited: 26 June 2011, 04:35
California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
44,491 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mandaley Bay wants to walk me

The only time I was asked to walk to another hotel I told the clerk that it would be difficult and didn't care about the free night they offered. They relented and I'm sure moved someone else.

I would call and explain that in this case you have commitments so moving isn't an option. The worse that can happen is they can force you to MGM, but that's where you are now anyway, so you won't be any worse off. If they insist I would then ask for a suite at MGM.

Nevada
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mandaley Bay wants to walk me

What about TheHotel or the Four Seasons as a walk, instead of MGM?

It's worth a try.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Mandaley Bay wants to walk me

Why is the city oversold this weekend?

Acton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
30 reviews