We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reading By The Pool

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,163 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Reading By The Pool

My wife absolutely loves to spend a good part of her day reading by the pool in Las Vegas. And our next trip is the 1st week of October, prime pool season.

I'd like to get her a Kindle or something similar. I'm looking for recommendations about which reader works best outside, in the sun at the pool.

The one requirement would be that she can purchase books from I-tunes and transfer the books that she already has downloaded in her Ipod Touch.

Any help would be appreciated, but please don't get technical as I really have no interest in these things. TIA

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reading By The Pool

I bought my husband the 3G Kindle and he absolutly loves it! He reads it at the pool and has no problems with glare. Downloading and sharing(or whatever!) books is easy to do, even for us tech-challenged folks!

Btw, my husband was one of those who swore he would never buy a kindle because he loved the experience of holding, turning pages, and even the smell of real books. Trust me, he is a total convert!

Gardendale, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reading By The Pool

The only problem with the kindle is that you will probably not be able to transfer her current books on to it. Amazon has a different format for their e-reader that makes it difficult to put other books on it. Even my library only has a few books compatible with the Kindle. So no itunes and kindle.

Sony has a good e-reader, as well as the nook by barnes and noble.

Why not get her a Ipad? It will work perfectly with the things she has on itunes and she can also surf the internet and get apps on it.

London
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reading By The Pool

Kindle rocks. No problems reading in the sun and the new ones don't get overly hot. You can get a great Kindle app for the iPod. Battery lasts for days and range of books is fantastic. Nothing else touches it.

I may be wrong, but pretty sure any books you have downloaded to iTunes aren't transferable to any other non Apple device.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reading By The Pool

Sorry ktinca...i am definetly tech-disadvantaged!! I don't understand all of the file-sharing issues but maybe check out the kindle and the Nook from Barnes and Noble.

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reading By The Pool

I love my Ipad, but it is worthless for reading in the sun. Kindle works great though.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
968 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reading By The Pool

I have a Kobo - works great, doesn't reflect light so easy to read in the sun, light, about the same size as a book and can download and read any pdf, ebook, newspaper, etc. the only format it cannot read are downloads from amazon for the kindle as those files are specific to the kindle device - it is very basic and simple model, it is wireless for downloading and purchasing from kobo website, but no internet access other than that.

also the kobo is coming out within the next month or so with a touch screen so it will be even easier to use and navigate with.

cmr

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Reading By The Pool

Maybe an iPad, you can transfer the books you already purchased.

Argyle, Texas
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Reading By The Pool

For reading by the pool (or outdoors in bright light in general) I would go with an e-ink style reader (the Kindle or the basic, not color Nook). The color Nook or an iPad are both backlit like computer screens and harder to read in the sun. I have a color nook, and have an anti-glare coating on it, and sometimes it is hard to read when I am outside.

Both the Nook and the Kindle have apps for iPod touch - so she should be able to transfer things from them to the touch, but it would be harder to get the items from iTunes into another brand.

I chose to go with Nook because it supports more file types than amazon does, my local library has a ton of books in PDF and EPub format that I can check out and read.

Edited: 04 July 2011, 19:20
Muskegon, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,863 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reading By The Pool

The hard thing about your wants is the iTunes thing...the iPad will make that transition pretty easy but with other devices, its harder to do than Chinese algebra. If your wife really wants iTunes compatibility, the iPad is the way to go. I had an iPad 2 I just recently sold and I did ok with reading in bright sunlight. Nothing beats reading Shakespeare in a park on that iPad 2 with cool drink in hand. Its one of the things I'll miss about that machine.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,163 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reading By The Pool

My wife is now reading books using her Ipod touch. She really likes that it doesn't weigh much like a real book. especially when reading in bed. I think this is a trait most of the readers also have. But the Ipad is larger and probably won't be as convenient.

She has like 1000 books already on her Ipod, so it would be nice if she could transfer those. So that would be more important than being able to purchase from I-tunes.