We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand canyon, west, north or south rim???

Dallas
Level Contributor
191 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
grand canyon, west, north or south rim???

which is the best to go to?? i know that the west is the closest but how good is it?? how long does it take to get to all of these?? we have a rental car for the week. thanks

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,001 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand canyon, west, north or south rim???

The "West Rim" is a made up attraction by some folks to take advantage of being closer to Las Vegas. Yes, it's a canyon. Yes, it's on the west side of the Grand Canyon. No, it doesn't have the depth, width, or views of the North or South rims.

The North Rim is seasonal for the most part, rustic, only one lodge, and closes during the winter for all services. You can drive in, weather permitting, but you're on your own between October and May.

The South Rim is the built up area that 90% of people visit. Which isn't neccesarily a bad thing, it means there's plenty of options for food and places to sleep. And you can wander off for some solitude fairly easily, away from the day trippers and bus riders.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: grand canyon, west, north or south rim???

As IrishFan says, avoid 'West Rim' at all costs. It's a bad joke.

Arlington TX
Level Contributor
981 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: grand canyon, west, north or south rim???

If you are taking a day trip to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas, you will almost have to visit the West Rim. See the sightseeing page on my website at < http://lasvegas4newbies.com/chap5-5.html > You can save a lot of money by booking online rather than through an "agent."

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
101 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grand canyon, west, north or south rim???

I have to disagree with Iriah Fan & Blagger. On my last trip to Vegas I visited the Grand Canyon (West Rim) and found it to be very impressive. Now in fairness I haven't yet managed to get to the south rim, which I may do this year and obviously then I will be able to give a better opinion but if you've never seen the Grand Canyon and have nothing to compare it to, I defo think the West Rim was a good choice and a reasonable travelling time to/from Vegas. Also from what I hear it's a lot less crowded which is nice. I did a helicopter ride and got a very good feel from that as to it's vast size so if you don't want to travel for hours to the south rim I do think the west rim is worthwhile. Helicopter is the only way to go though, lots of fun and the view are spectacular. Hope it helps

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: grand canyon, west, north or south rim???

I visited the South Rim about four months ago and it was beautiful! It was very busy but worth it. The advantages to the other rims are that they might be lonelier and not as busy. Because the South Rim is the main attraction I think it is definitely worth the trip.

Nashville
Level Contributor
181 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grand canyon, west, north or south rim???

If you are going to be in Vegas between May and September, than the North Rim would be best. That's for two reasons: it's much cooler (because the elevation is 2000' higher) and far less crowded. The cabins that rent at Grand Canyon Lodge are quite comfortable and some have a canyon view. Two nights there are an unforgettable luxury. South Rim is very fine in the cooler months when the shoulder to shoulder crowds and 90 degree mid-day temps are gone. If you go to the North Rim, consider adding a visit to Zion and/or Bryce canyons, since you have a week. Re: the "West Rim," it's not part of the National Park and seems to be a commercial development -- some people like that sort of thing, some don't.

Dallas
Level Contributor
191 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grand canyon, west, north or south rim???

how long does it take to drive to south rim because we are going in april so north rim will not be open. thanks

Morgantown, West...
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: grand canyon, west, north or south rim???

It's a good 4 hour drive to the South Rim from Vegas, which is why we are not driving it. If you can afford it, book a helicopter or plane tour, which will cut out on the driving time.

Just too long of a day to drive there, spend some quality time, and then slug back to town. ;-)

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
429 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: grand canyon, west, north or south rim???

I've been to the west rim, via a small plane, not a helicopter. It was not overly commercial, in fact it was uncroweded and quiet and peacefull. The views were colorful and awesome. It was a wonderful day. As another poster said, I have not seen the other vantages so my point of view is limited. However, I understand the west rim is much closer to Vegas. We are saving a south rim trip for a separate vacation in the future.