We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - Additional Driver

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental - Additional Driver

I have been pouring through the forums regarding whether or not I should rent a car in Vegas. I have decided that I will, and have gotten good tips regarding constantly checking for good rates because they tend to fluctuate. Prices go from being okay to outrageous, but it seems that when I am able to find a rate that I think would be acceptable then I have to deal with the issue of adding an additional driver which pushes the total cost back up again. My question is are there any rental agencies that don't charge for an additional driver who is not a spouse? (We will be driving to the grand canyon and an additional driver is a must for me.)

Ohio
Level Contributor
407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental - Additional Driver

most of the corp id codes, costco, walmart, etc., will give you an additional driver for free at alamo.

Dayton OH
Level Contributor
222 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental - Additional Driver

Sorry to hijack the post but what do you mean by corp id codes.

Thanks!!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental - Additional Driver

There is a spot you can enter a corp id code which is different from where you enter the coupon codes. The walmart number is 430710 if memory serves. The costco one is available on their site.

canada
Level Contributor
113 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental - Additional Driver

Important to us as well to have the second driver.

Hertz does not charge for the second driver if you are both AAA members.

www.costcotravel.com lists all the rental agencies they partner with and the different options for discounts. They also have the links right on the site with the codes already filled in. We've booked with Avis the last couple of trips and were able to use some good coupon codes and free additional driver to bring our costs below Thrify and Dollar.

Also check out carrentalsavers.com. They list all the codes from the different companies and partners. You can use their search engine, but I usually go right to sites and plunk the codes in myself.

Good luck!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental - Additional Driver

Alamo gives you the second driver free if you join their Insiders Club. It's free.

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental - Additional Driver

Thank you for the replies. I am definitely going to check out these other options.

Oxford, New York
Level Contributor
358 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental - Additional Driver

Make sure you ask about an additional drive in VEGAS. I almost fell into a trap but then realized they had an additional charge for Vegas. Last time I checked - Dollar charges 10 dollars per day for an additional driver - it works as a way to limit my drinking as I am the DD! Good luck.

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental - Additional Driver

That's good to know. My entire trip is going to be in Vegas except for when we do a couple of days to grand canyon and valley of fire.

Thanks.

Dover, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental - Additional Driver

Does Alamo charge for additional drive in Las Vegas if you are in insiders club member ? I have found, recently, that Alamo has very competitive rates.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental - Additional Driver

Again, if you are an Alamo Insider Member, you get the 2nd driver for free.