We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open Table?

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Open Table?

I don't use Open Table very often, but every once in a while a restaurant's own site will send you there.

I wanted to make reservations for Brunch on Sunday and the only times they showed open were 9, 9:15am or 1pm. None of which I wanted. So I called and got reservations for 10:30am.

Is this common with Open Table? That they don't always show the best available times?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,572 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,043 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
571 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,942 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Open Table?

Ive had the same experience. I rarely make reservations at restaurants, (especially if its just my wife and I) because I like to hang out and drink at the bar until a table is ready. When I do and Im directed to Open TAble and the time I prefer is not available I do call the restaurant and often times they do have times that are not available on Open Table.

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open Table?

I've found Open Table to be more annoying than useful.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,082 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Open Table?

When you start at the restaurant's website, and they direct you to OT, very often you will not earn any points. When you start at OT, you do.

I have not encountered that "bad times" problem very often because we eat at odd (read early) times. And I also plan far in advance.

I like OT because I like collecting the points...and getting the free $20 every time you get 2,000 points (which is very easy to do, especially since we do eat early, we often get the 1,000 point times).

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Open Table?

I wasn't trying to get points or rewards. I want a reservation for Brunch, lol.

I think this is terrible. What if you are not the kind of person who calls? You would accept the fact that this popular brunch is sold out, and you would miss out.

BTW: We were offered reservations for 9 or 9:15, and Brunch doesn't start until 10.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,942 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Open Table?

I dont know this, but Id assume Open Table is a vender that is given time slots by the restaurant to fill. Just like a travel site like Expedia, etc.

So they book the slots they have been given by the restaurant??

Maybe Im way off on that theory but that is what I assumed they did?

Tempe, AZ
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Open Table?

I think the same thing, GoodBeer.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,082 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Open Table?

Yes, they don't have unlimited access to all the restaurant's time slots, they are only given a limited number to fill.

And why NOT get points? I never hear you talk about using coupons, ktinca, and that's fine if that's the way you are, but I like to take advantage of things that others want to give to me.

Tavares, Florida
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Open Table?

I use Open Table and have never had a problem getting the time I want, I do make the reservation pretty far in advance if they are taking them. It is odd that the times were earlier than the restaurant was actually open. I do think if a time I wanted was taken, I would call just to check as Ktinca did. Maybe, the restaurant doesn't let open table know if there have been cancellations? Just guessing....I like the points too!

SOUTHERN OHIO
Level Contributor
931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Open Table?

I made a reservation through OT but I'm not hip to these points. What's the deal?

Ohio
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Open Table?

i use O T all the time on LV trips, and never have had a problem. Although, I usually make them a week or so in advance. I find it extremely useful, particularly in LV.