We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Vegas Questions

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Vegas Questions

Is it really that cold at Christmas?

I'm looking at the temperature for December, and it seems awfully cold for the desert!! Is this the case in your opinion? If we are looking for (reasonably) warm temperatures, should we look elsewhere?

Asuming we go for it, we are looking at either the Platinum or the Signature@MGM. Any preferences? Are they both near the Strip, and the other Hotels?

Shopping question: Is it better to use the Out - of -Town Malls, or are the ones on the strip just as cheap - and closer!

Thanks folks - all help appreciated

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Vegas Questions

A desert is defined as a region with extremely low rainfall. Temperature doesn't enter into it. Large parts of Siberia are deserts.

Vegas in December is chilly and snow isn't unknown. If you want guaranteed pool weather in LV then stick to May through September.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Vegas Questions

We have been the past two christmas and new years.

In comparision to Scotland it's a lovely change! Winter sunshine throughout the day meant most of the time, just heading out with a cardigan or jumper, didn't nessesarily need a jacket. Night time was milder and jacket/coat was needed then.

The strip is much easier to walk in the cool temps of Dec. Saying that if your beach people and are looking for a suntan then Vegas prob isn't what your after in December. Very few pools are open during this time.

Puyallup, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,194 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Vegas Questions

We have been there over Christmas many times and it has always been cold. We've even had snow several trips. We are going to be there again Dec 22-27th and plan on layering during the day. I bring a wool coat and have lots of scarves to dress it up. Jeans and boots are what I wear during the day. At night we cab to where we are going. We love Vegas in both the summer and the winter!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
433 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Vegas Questions

We always go over Thanksgiving. Temps during the day usually in the 70's and jacket weather at night.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Vegas Questions

I was there three years ago in Dec and the city came to a halt because of snow. I'm glad I had a winter coat with me. That is a very iffy time of year. It could be jacket, sweater weather or you could be freezing to death. If you want warm or warmish that time of year, go elsewhere.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in Vegas Questions

My wife and I go most Christmases and find it a great time to go. It can get chilly, but thats compared to Vegas weather. Think Spring in the UK and you won't be far off. 13-15 degrees C. In the sun its quite pleasant, and it is normally sunny with clear skies.

The hotels are normally good value at this time, providing you leave before New Year. Its great to escape the British winter and enjoy Vegas and the shopping. We visit the outlet malls, which are easy to get to by bus which run up and down the strip. Closed Christmas day, get there early boxing day for the sales!

The only time I have had a problem with snow in the last two years has been managing to take off from the UK, the last two years were a nightmare and we were close twice to not making it, but we made it in the end.!

Enjoy your trip, see you there!

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
586 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in Vegas Questions

We went for part of our honeymoon last Christmas and although we had fun, it was literally torrential rain for 3 days straight. we drove from LA- the day after we did they shut part of the road due to rain. The strip had a river running through down it- i would say 6 inches at the curbs, not exaggerating! The mountain run off water pouring through a car park of a strip hotel (dont remember which) was incredible. So yeah, you could be unlucky with the weather. Temp wise definitelu warmer than UK but still jacket and jeans weather, at least for when I was there.

That said, Vegas is connected my monorails, covered walkways, trams etc and attractions are inside And some guy we were talking to said the rains in the mountains had come unusually early that year, so I would not rule it out!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Manchester
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in Vegas Questions

The rain was the exception rather than the rule i think. It only rained for say the first full day I was there. It was headline news, so it must have been unusual. The first time in about 6 trips I even saw any rain in Vegas!

There was water coming in from the ceiling in one place, but we worked out a route that kept us covered until it passed.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,449 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in Vegas Questions

Mystic, The reason that rain makes the news in Vegas is that, because it is the desert, the ground is hard and rain can wreak havoc on the roads. Here at home, when it rains, the water (usually) runs off the road and is absorbed into the ground quickly. In Vegas, lack of rain causes a build-up of oils on the streets and when it does rain, it can get slick fast and cause major accidents. The water not being absorbed into the ground fast enough also causes flash floods. My first trip to Vegas, it rained and a truck jackknifed on the highway causing major problems.

When I've traveled to Vegas in June and September, I've never seen rain, but in February and December, I have.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas in Vegas Questions

Thanks for all the info, folks - all pretty much what I was expecting.

Any thoughts on helping me decide between staying at the Platinum or the Signature?