We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I have to be at the rental desk to be a named driver?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton
Level Contributor
774 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Do I have to be at the rental desk to be a named driver?

Howdy!

We land on the 23rd aug from the uk 45 of us for my wedding :-)

The plan is after getting the bags I'm going to MB to check in with a few cases, my fiancée is going to the rental place to get car with her mum and sisters to collect our rental. I would like to be able to drive it too, can I give her my licence to add me as a named driver or would I need to go with her to get it sorted?

Cheers xx

Park Forest...
Level Contributor
11,473 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I have to be at the rental desk to be a named driver?

You need to be present with your ID to be a driver on the contract.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,727 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I have to be at the rental desk to be a named driver?

You probably have to be there in person. But the best advice is going to be from the car rental agency. You don't mention which one you're using.

Also worth noting that most places will allow you to stop in at another of their locations to add someone to the contract. For example, rent at the airport and then stop by a hotel car rental desk a day or so later and get it sorted out there.

Nevada
Level Contributor
3,234 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I have to be at the rental desk to be a named driver?

You will need your ID to check in at MB. Sorry can't help you on the rental question.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I have to be at the rental desk to be a named driver?

You'd need to be there. Producing a license when you pick up a rental car is done so the agent can confirm that a person who will be driving the car is who they say they are.

Edited: 13 August 2011, 22:19
Brighton
Level Contributor
774 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I have to be at the rental desk to be a named driver?

Alrighty, not a prob, would just have liked to drive once or twice.

Thanks you lot x

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I have to be at the rental desk to be a named driver?

How are you getting to the MB?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I have to be at the rental desk to be a named driver?

Just return to the rental car agency and they can add you later. If the company you are using has a closer location to somewhere you may be you should be able to stop by there to do it rather tan going back to the rental car center. Just have her ask when she rents the car. They may even add you then, you never know. Ive found that additional driver policies are very different at every company and everywhere I go the policy is never consistant even with the same company.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I have to be at the rental desk to be a named driver?

I don't know what company you have your car with, but when I book with Alamo I do the online check in and add myself as a driver at that time. I've done this twice and they have never asked for my license at the car rental place (especially since we use the kiosk). My husband is the primary driver, therefore he always has to show his license, etc. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, and hope everything goes as planned.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I have to be at the rental desk to be a named driver?

You could always stop back in and do the paperwork at a later time?

Prince Edward...
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I have to be at the rental desk to be a named driver?

I rent from AVIS in Vegas because hubby can go straight to the poker table when we arrive and I pick up the car at the hotel

From AVIS website

"The following individuals, if 25 years of age or older and in possession of a valid driver's license, may drive the car with the renter's prior permission: •Renter's employer (while on company business);

•Renter's fellow employee (while on company business

•Renter's spouse or life partner.

The above additional drivers are considered "authorized drivers" and need not be present at the time of rental, nor do they need to sign an additional driver form

Edited: 13 August 2011, 23:21