We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help starting to get stressed....

Manchester
Level Contributor
88 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Please help starting to get stressed....

Hi all I have been following on here for weeks now to help plan my first trip to Vegas. I throughly enjoy planning my holidays usually however I am starting to get very stressed with planning now.

From day one I have found it very hard to book and pay for things, e.g my show tickets, ceasars palace etc as I dont own

a credit card, I just have a debit card but I have been managing. I have had to ring many companies but several phone calls and emails later everything seemed to be planned.

However I went to book my car hire yesturday with the company carhire 3000 after days of trying to find the right rental. It was difficult because I wanted a company on strip and a lot of them close early etc and the charge for under 25 year olds was ridiculous. So I eventually found a reasonably price picking up from TI on my required dates. I read all the T&C's was happy, booked and payed. O then got my confirmation email which stated I needed to bring a credit card in MY name when collecting the car. I emailed explaining I dont own one and would it be possible to leave a cash deposit and my debit card and they basically said no and I should cancel.

Firstly I read the T&Cs and there was no mention of this. I have also rented cars in Florida before and have not needed to have a credit card. So i guess my question is does any one know a cheap car rental on strip that does not require a credit card? Or I really do not want to cancel my booking as I leave in 10 days and the booking is for the 3rd September

so shall I bite the bullet and get a credit card?? I know they are common in the states but not everyone has one in the UK especially 21 year old students!

Sorry for the long post I am really just starting to get stressed with planning this trip.

Gardendale, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help starting to get stressed....

I agree that you should stay away from credit cards as long as possible. That being said, it will be very hard to rent a car without one.

Are you going anywhere besides Vegas? If not I say skip the rental car. You can do tours for Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam.

Brighton
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help starting to get stressed....

Ring someone like CaxtonCard or Fairfx and ask if they can get you a card in time. This is a Visa or Mastercard which you preload with dollars - ideal for using abroad and means that you don't have to have an actual credit card which can take time to organise.

Just find out if the rental will put a hold on funds above your rental charge.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,867 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help starting to get stressed....

Calm down. Maybe have a cup of tea (I'm enjoying a cup of coffee). The most important thing about posting on this or any other internet forum is getting the right people to read and answer your question. There are a number of us who open most of the posts, but many who read forums skim and open the ones that interest them. Even though I know a lot about Las Vegas, this won't help you because I don't have the info you need.

So the 1st thing you need to do is re-post your question with a different subject, hopefully one that will get the right person to open and respond. Such As "Renting a Car Under 25, No Credit Card."

Hopefully someone who's been in your situation will read and respond. Good Luck.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help starting to get stressed....

You could always buy a Visa when you're there? A prepaid? Just load it with what you need on it and Voila, you're not out any money and you have a card.

Brighton
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help starting to get stressed....

Oops, sorry, I tried to edit my post but it was too late. I meant the rental company.

The great thing about the pre-loaded cards is that you avoid bank fees for using overseas currency. Check out the different terms. The Caxton Card doesn't charge for ATM withdrawals, apart from the charge imposed by the ATM machine owner. You can also load it by text, e-mail and over the phone - it's what I use in the US.

Toronto
Level Contributor
696 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help starting to get stressed....

For your first trip - I am not so sure you need a car. It also depends on your length of your stay.

We've been 10X and have only rented a car once and only for one day!!

Plenty of other means of transportation.

Bridgewater, New...
Level Contributor
2,304 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help starting to get stressed....

If you're not planning on travelling away from the strip, it really isn't necessary to rent a car. You can take a taxi or shuttle from the airport and you can walk, taxi or take a bus/tram to get around.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help starting to get stressed....

If you really want to have a hire car is there any mileage in renting it here first through a travel agent?

That way I assume you can pay in full with your debit card. I've booked and paid for our hire car through Bon Voyage, who I booked our complete package with, and everything is already pre-paid.

Dover, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,720 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help starting to get stressed....

I agree with ktinca !

Repost with specific question """" So the 1st thing you need to do is re-post your question with a different subject, hopefully one that will get the right person to open and respond. Such As "Renting a Car Under 25, No Credit Card."

Hopefully someone who's been in your situation will read ""

Else you will get tons of suggestions that may be off point .

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,895 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help starting to get stressed....

If no one in your group is over 25 and has a credit card, forget renting the car. Just use your feet, taxis and buses to get around, much simpler.