We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for my old but dear husband!

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
418 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for my old but dear husband!

December 11-14 is "Girl Days" and we three plan to stay at The Venetian in a Bella Suite. As our average age is mid-50s, our wild and crazy days are (probably) over but we'll be definitely enjoying ourselves, Vegas-style! Throughout the planning, my DH has appreciated that I'll be back the day before our anniversary and has watched with a bit of envy as I guffaw, snicker and LOL during my frequent perusal of this forum.

Long story short, the girls will fly out that Wednesday at 11 am and he'll fly in that evening for 3 nights! Not only do I get to spend another 3 days in Vegas but I get to do so celebrating my 38th anniversary with my best guy!

Here's the question (finally.) I'd thought to just move to the Palazzo, possibly a prestige room to take advantage of the early check-in. Then I read the wonderful TR by mykel67 and the Mandarin Oriental made it onto the radar. DH does love excellent service and doesn't mind paying for it. As he makes the money and I pay the bills, I tend to look for value.

MO currently has a last-night-free deal. It appears to be for a room on the lower floors. Dare I ask for an upgrade on site at the MO for a room higher up? I really don't care to hear street noise. Is MO a better value, considering all the different trade offs (room size vs non-smoking vs free stuff vs "zen"?) Pool comparison is moot (December) and we gamble but don't require it downstairs.

Or should we be looking for something completely different? Suggestions?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,983 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for my old but dear husband!

I'm not a fan of a hefty price tag for Club levels in hotels because I think it almost forces you to get your "money's worth" by partaking of their offerings, instead of enjoying all the restaurants Vegas has to offer. But to do it for an early check-in makes even less sense to me. Every hotel will hold your bags until a room becomes available, and we regularly switch hotels and are arriving early - most times we get a room right away, otherwise we check our bags and go off and enjoy ourselves.

I think the MO sounds great because it will be a change of scenery for you, having just spent the prior days at V/P. As far as street noise, that would only be rooms facing the Strip, remember every building has 4 sides. I think if you simply request a "quiet room" they will do their best to accommodate you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for my old but dear husband!

I agree with WW, especially about Club level or rooms at Palazzo since that part of the hotel gets mixed reviews. I don't really think it's a great value for money unless you want to eat/drink their offerings a lot of the time and then not to to the nice choice of restaurants in the hotel and at other hotels nearby. Just my 2 cents worth.

I think I'd be tempted to try MO, either that or I'd move to Wynn or Encore, either that or the Wynn Tower Suites, well worth the splurge IMO.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
43,209 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for my old but dear husband!

As long as that is the type of experience you think he would prefer I would certainly choose Mandarin Oriental. From a value standpoint the 3rd night free promo at MO is still a good one. And with the way rates are going up in Las Vegas (including MO) you may not see this opportunity again for quite a while. It will provide an outstanding experience for your anniversary.

I'm not sure about an upgrade to a different room classification. I got the distinct impression that our room was actually pre-assigned and waiting for us. But we did reserve and pay for a slightly larger room and one on an upper floor.

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
418 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for my old but dear husband!

Thanks. Excellent points and MO it will be!

canada
Level Contributor
4,321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel for my old but dear husband!

a better and bigger suite at the palazzo with the prestige lounge

is the better way to go

if money as you said is no object

6. Re: Hotel for my old but dear husband!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 03:16