We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant.com Question

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
116 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant.com Question

Since restaurant-bills in the US are so different from the ones in Holland, I was wondering if I understand the fine-print at Restaurant.com correctly.

When the fine-print says ''Valid for Food ONLY. Minimum purchase of $75. Excludes tax and gratuity.''

I assume it means we have to order for at least $75, then tax and gratuity is added, so total would be minimum $95 and then the amount on the certificate is deducted.

But when it says ''Minimum purchase of $100. 18% Gratuity added prior to discount.''

Does this mean the minimum $100 includes gratuity, so we have to order for at least $82? or do we have to order for at least $100, and then they add 18%?

Please help me out here.

(I do have the code for 80% off which would make it really affordable to eat at Fleur - if I udnerstand correctly)

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All American Helicopter...
6,717 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$494.95
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,102 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Deluxe Grand Canyon All American...
511 reviews
from US$426.99*
US$527.50
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Grand Canyon Skywalk...
403 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,392 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant.com Question

They mean minimum of food and/or drink (depending on the restaurant). They don't include the tip as part of that even if it is included in the bill.

Each restaurant has different rules about whether food and/or beverages are included. You have to look at each one.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant.com Question

You would have to order $100 and the mandatory 18% gratuity would then be added to that. Of course feel free to "top up" the tip a little if you feel it's appropriate.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
116 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant.com Question

Thanks!

Just so I am 100% sure:

- gratuity and tax is always added to the minimum amount

- the fine-print about gratuity is there so they can add 18% to the original bill because they are afraid we won't tip properly?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant.com Question

You got it!! The reason for the different wording on the original question is because one is for food only, the other is for food and drink. Tax and gratuity are never included in the required purchase.

Yes, the reason they say they will add the gratuity before the discount is to make sure the server gets tipped on the full amount, not the amount after discount. The general restaurant.com terms and conditions state this. However, I have found that about half the time they actually do it. Be sure to look at your receipt to make sure of whether they have or have not added the tip.

5. Re: Restaurant.com Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 05:16