We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gambling sayings?!

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
gambling sayings?!

Hello everyone,

So in preparation for my vegas virginity being lost in (eeek!) 20 days... I have noticed some of you saying stuff like 'the table was cold' and other such gems. As a newbie... please impart your wisdom upon me so I don't feel like a complete moron at the tables when I try it the first time (PS I am planning on having free lessons!).

~DL x

Edited: 30 August 2011, 12:44
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gambling sayings?!

Go big or go home!

Why do I always end up just going home?

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gambling sayings?!

Unfortunately you only know that "the table is cold" after you have lost a huge chunk of your money. No one knows when it is going to turn cold or turn hot.

So forget all that BS and just have fun. Learn how to play the games and maximize your opportunity to LOSE THE LEAST amount of money that you can.

Don't wait to take "Lessons" to learn how to play the games. Figure it out ahead of that. Lessons teach you nothing about house advantage or money management strategies !!

Lawrenceburg...
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gambling sayings?!

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
238 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gambling sayings?!

Just remember the most important saying in Vegas : "The house always wins"

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
14,280 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: gambling sayings?!

"Changing hundred"

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gambling sayings?!

As the previous poster said, learn to play on-line before you go. You didn't say which table games you were going to play.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gambling sayings?!

One thing that will mark you out as a newbie is if you try to hand the dealer your money when changing it for chips. Remember to place it on the table, so that there's no direct contact between yourself and the dealer.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gambling sayings?!

dancinglawyer - One other thing !!

It is required that when you go to the craps table the first time, you must roll the dice !!

Before doing so you are required to announce that you are a Vegas Virgin and this is your first time to shoot the dice !!

This gives all the people on the table a chance to significantly increase their bets. Everyone knows that female Vegas Virgins are always lucky the first time they roll the dice on the craps table.

You will win lots of money for all the guys at the table and you will have lots of new friends !!

All of what I'm telling you is a well known fact by all experienced craps players !!

canada
Level Contributor
4,320 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gambling sayings?!

placebets

is right on his posts

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
64 reviews