We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cab or rent car and what show to see

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
cab or rent car and what show to see

We flying in to Vegas for 3 days Sun-Wed in mid October. My spouse and I will be staying south strip since I will be in meetings during the day at the Mandalay conv. center. Two questions: Rent a car or taxi? What show should we see Lion king, Phanton or Jersy boys? Thanks.

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cab or rent car and what show to see

Rent a car or taxi? This is a somewhat polarizing question on the forum. You will be in Las Vegas for only 3 days, so you won't have a lot of time to explore the entire strip. I choose not to rent a car, because I do not drink and drive. Part of the fun of my trips to Las Vegas is to drink at times of the day and more often than I do at home. In my many trips to Las Vegas, I have mostly used my feet to get around. We used the occasional bus and taxi. That's just my choice and is what I will do on my next trip in October.

Regarding your show choices, I have seen Lion King and Phantom. They were both phenomenal musicals. However, Jersey Boys is at the top of my list of shows to still see. You have picked 3 excellent choices. I would suggest Lion King for 2 reasons: The show will be closing (in December?) and it is at MB (convenient to your south strip location).

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cab or rent car and what show to see

Thanks for the advice.

Which would be cheeper: Taxi to and from airport or rent car for 3 days and parking fees?

I think during our stay we will either walk or take the tram. My convention offers some free shuttle as well.

Tacoma,WA
Level Contributor
912 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cab or rent car and what show to see

totally your choice....I rented a car for the first time last visit but we had a child that visit so it was worth it...I was surprised how easy getting around was...we used the car mostly during the day, go to store, visit red rock canyon,etc...and I never paid to park so not sure what fees above poster is talking about..free parking and free valet at every hotel...just packed our GPS from home. you would have to compare the difference of what its gonna cost you to go to convention center each day....We got a really good deal using promo codes from here on the forum. if u rent sign up for rental cars frequent program too which will save you money..the car rental tax in las vegas is a little crazy too....

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cab or rent car and what show to see

Taxi from the airport to Mandalay Bay will be approximately $14-$15, depending on traffic.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cab or rent car and what show to see

Given your short visit and being tied up during the day I definitely chose no rental. You'll waste time picking it up and dropping it off, plus you'll hardly ever use it. Not to mention tipping the valets and waiting for your car.

On the show front, of those you listed, I say Jersey Boys, but would also add LOVE to the list. Both are fantastic.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 21:39
Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cab or rent car and what show to see

Easy ...... take a cab, do NOT get a rental car.

3 good shows, I've seen all 3. Lion King would be easiest, obviously for your location. But .... I think I would have to say Jersey Boys!

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cab or rent car and what show to see

My first trip was also 3 days but I did rent a car, it just allowed me more liberty. Rental Cars aren't expensive and parking is free.

south dakota
Level Contributor
438 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cab or rent car and what show to see

If you are in meetings all day I would say no to a car too. But then again with all my trips in vegas, we have never rented a car. Like someone else said, i drink a lot in Vegas so no driving, cabs and trams are everywhere, and it kind of sounds like a hassle and expense I don't want to deal with!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cab or rent car and what show to see

I normally say yes to a car, but since you are renting Sun-Wednesday without a Saturday night stay, the car would probably cost pretty much. Better stick with your shuttles and taxi.

10. Re: cab or rent car and what show to see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 01:17