We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Flame at El Cortez (your experiance/opinions please)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
253 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
The Flame at El Cortez (your experiance/opinions please)

Hello all,

I am planning on taking my DH out for dinner on his birthday while we are there in Las Vegas. He loves going to freemont and we usually go down for the evening once or twice during the week. I've read reviews on Yelp and TA regarding the Flame, but I was wondering what the posters on here feel as I love hearing from people I "know." The reviews are good on the place and since my DH likes freemont and loves steak I figure it's a good place to start.

However, if you're wanting to give other suggestions I am more than willing to be open to hear them. He loves a good steak dinner but is also Italian so he loves authentic Italian as well.

My budget for dinner is $75-80 per person before tip (no desert though) and I'd like that to include a bottle of wine. We usually share an app, each have an entree and share a bottle of wine. (Maybe have a cocktail with the app). I know $150-160 before tip won't get you to many of the finer places, but a nice place sort of within that budget would be awesome.

As always, thank you all for your help and ideas it really is truly appreciated.

And I apologize for spelling errors this has been sent from my blackberry.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,547 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,005 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
385 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
347 reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Flame at El Cortez (your experiance/opinions please)

My wife and I had a great dinner at the Flame. I had a real good steak, she had the salmon. Both were delicious. I found it to be at good quality / price point.

We used the ACG 50% off (up to $25) coupon. After coupon, our bill came out to about $30 (before tip). There are also restaurant.com coupons for the Flame as well.

I would highly recommend it. Vic & Antonys may be slightly better, but will not be even in the same ball park price wise.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Flame at El Cortez (your experiance/opinions please)

I went to The Flame twice. While it may not be the most spectacular steakhouse in town, both times the porterhouses were cooked perfectly as requested (rare), the creamed corn was splendid and the wine price correctly (Paul Hall Cab is a good find for less than $50).

In addition, if you go in Fall, stone crab is available for a much MUCH cheaper price than Joe's!

The decor is very much so-so and the whole place could certainly use a refurbish.

That said, I don't know many places in Vegas where you can get 2 appetizers, 2 porterhouses, 1 bottle of wine for $90 all included when using a restaurant.com coupon. With the current code SAVE giving you 80% reduction, that means that you get a $50 coupon for $5.

Edited: 14 September 2011, 01:18
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Flame at El Cortez (your experiance/opinions please)

I love the Flame. I have had two great meals there, complete with numerous apps and main courses and drinks. Everything we ordered both times was excellent.

Tip: get a GC from restaurant.com. you can get a $50 gc for only a few dollars with a promo code. You just have to spend $100 and alcohol counts towards the total.

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Flame at El Cortez (your experiance/opinions please)

The Flame is one of the best values downtown. Food is very good, portions are monsterous, and the service is timely.

Your budget for two ought to feed you both even with the wine. The sides are huge so one will feed at least two easily. The beef is well prepared and very flavorful as well as the non-hoofed entrees. The queen cut of prime rib is large so be advised.

I would also suggest the restaurant.com coupon if you don't have an ACG. Have used both successfully and includes alcohol.

If you want a delightful, helpful server, ask for Linda.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Flame at El Cortez (your experiance/opinions please)

ShowMe, we had Linda the first time. Your right she is great.

lakeland, fl
Level Contributor
55 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Flame at El Cortez (your experiance/opinions please)

We loved The Flame at El Co. Great steaks, split sides (because they are HUGE), wine and cocktails before, with the restaurant.com $100 certificate, it's a great deal. Be sure to get the monthly password for even more off the certificate!. DH's bday so Linda brought out cake and ice cream with a candle! Great place -- old Vegas feel definitely!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Flame at El Cortez (your experiance/opinions please)

Thank you all so much.

What would you say the dress code is? I'd like to wear a dress and my DH he usually would wear khaki's/dressy jeans with a dress shirt...

Canada
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Flame at El Cortez (your experiance/opinions please)

No dresscode, really. You may even be overdressed!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,890 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Flame at El Cortez (your experiance/opinions please)

I am a fan of the Flame. We have a family dinner there at once a month.

The steaks, prime rib, lobster tail and crab legs are all I've had there -- all have been very good, almost all the time. I have sent a steak back once or twice, but no steak house can avoid that. When I got a tough steak, they replaced it quickly without any hassle.

Given how often I dine there, I find the menu pretty limited, but that is the same at most steak houses.

In the old days, the Flame (then Roberta's) was not a la carte -- the entrees came with soup or salad and a side dish. Now, it is all a la carte -- adds about $7 per person to the bill. But the sides are all large enough to share. In fact, I had a "side" of mac and cheese for my entree once. We will usually share a salad and a couple of sides among four people. My favorite sides are the sauteed mushrooms and the mashed potatoes. (They changed the mac and cheese recipe and it is no longer one of my favorites.)

Service is very good. But we are regulars, and they take very good care of us. And, yes, Linda is very good.

SwanCity, I am surprised. For our birthdays, they don't serve cake, but cheesecake. But that could be because they know we like the cheesecake best.

The Flame is well under your budget, unless you get fancy with the wine!

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
847 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Flame at El Cortez (your experiance/opinions please)

Had dinner there in March, there were 9 people in our party. Food was so-so, service was terrible. Took 45 minutes to get our check, we just wanted to get the hell out of there!