We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving Wknd... driving to & from LA... Am I Crazy??

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving Wknd... driving to & from LA... Am I Crazy??

Hello Fellow TA!!

I wanted to take a mini vacation, and honestly, there's no place like VEGAS!

But is it crazy to drive to Vegas & the drive back on Sunday to LA??

will there be so much traffic coming back to LA that it takes 10hrs to get home?

at first, i thought, many people will be with their families, but then thought the traffic will be horrific!

How about flying??... will the airports be such a mess as well??

Thanks for any input you can give me,

Yesi

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
949 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving Wknd... driving to & from LA... Am I Crazy??

I am not far from LA as well. You could fly http://www.allegiantair.com/ from Long Beach to Vegas for CHEAP.

When I go I try to not come home on Sunday and come home Monday. If you do drive on Sunday either leave really early or late. If I do drive home Sunday I leave around 6 or 7 at night.

Brighton
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving Wknd... driving to & from LA... Am I Crazy??

I'd fly - it's so much quicker and no worries about traffic. Have you signed up to SW and their dings? Not sure about Thanksgiving but flights have been around $59 each way. No idea what petrol costs will be but you'll have more time in Vegas and not be stuck on the road for hours.

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving Wknd... driving to & from LA... Am I Crazy??

Thanks Justin!

One question...

Have you ever had to drive back the Sunday after Thanksgiving?... that's what Im afraid of... that it will be crazy and I will be stuck in traffic for 10 hrs no matter what hour I leave.

las vegas
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving Wknd... driving to & from LA... Am I Crazy??

I have never done it but I can see the traffic coming in from LA and it is nothing but a sea of headlights. The news will also show the madness of the freeways both coming and going. Maybe drive in on Thursday and leave on Saturday to avoid the madness.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
949 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving Wknd... driving to & from LA... Am I Crazy??

I have never driven home on the Sunday after Thanksgiving but I'm sure it will be worse than a normal Sunday.

If it were me I would either fly or drive home on a different day.

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving Wknd... driving to & from LA... Am I Crazy??

Thanks!

I'll check out the airfares for that wkend... hopefully it won't break the bank!

wish I could drive... I don't like to be without a car! LOL

los angeles
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving Wknd... driving to & from LA... Am I Crazy??

I, unfortunately, have done the drive on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and it was HORRIBLE. What is normally no more than a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive for me was over 8 hours. Now, I drive back on Monday and its fine. If you are going to do it, leave really, really early on Sunday morning (I left at about 9:30 and it was already backed up, took two hours to get to State Line) or really, really late Sunday evening after most of the traffic has gone by.

california
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving Wknd... driving to & from LA... Am I Crazy??

Thanks Lawcat!

I was hoping to get an answer from someone who has been through the horror! LOL ...

Have to tried to fly back on Sunday... what is just as horrible in the airport in Las Vegas... ?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,363 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanksgiving Wknd... driving to & from LA... Am I Crazy??

I have made the drive the Sunday after several times including last year.

Leave Early!!

I left at 830am and it only cost me about 20 minutes extra because of slowing in some spots. I've left at noon once and it took me about 7 hours to Orange Co instead if the usual 3 1/2 hours.

My advice is leave no later than 830 earlier if you can or wait until Monday.

Menifee, California
Level Contributor
243 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thanksgiving Wknd... driving to & from LA... Am I Crazy??

We ALAWYS plan our drive around NOT leaving on Sunday !

We made that mistake a few times, leaving at various times of day and it seems like the drive was always ridiculous for one reason or another (traffic, accidents, ect).

So we just plan to come back on either Sat or Mon now and have no driving issues since!

Maybe come back early Mon, if possible?

Jet Blue has amazing sales sometimes out of Long Beach too (got tickets for Dec for about $80 round trip!)

Good luck, have fun!