We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for tropical pool complex during winter (early Feb.)

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for tropical pool complex during winter (early Feb.)

Hi there...we are looking for a hotel on the strip for just one night...a Friday in February...10th. We'll be staying elsewhere in Vegas for 1 week (Wyndham Grand Desert), but have 1 extra night before we head back out of town.

We would love to stay somewhere with a beautiful pool complex that would be open (or mostly open) in February.

We don't need party zone, nor bar service...just somewhere tropical looking with nice ground to walk around, nice loungers to sit in the sun (we'll be coming from very cold weather and lots of snow), and at least one warm pool to swim in and a nice hot tub.

I have been looking at several that look great...but not all of them are open in February...or maybe only one pool left open.

I don't even mind if not all the pools are open, so long as we can still walk the grounds and enjoy the area.

Thank you all so much.

Montrose, Michigan
Level Contributor
193 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for tropical pool complex during winter (early Feb.)

I am Sure there are others availble but the pool at the Mirage would be my choice. Tropical look and feel plus they are now open year round with a heated pool.

Pentwater, MI
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for tropical pool complex during winter (early Feb.)

Caesars has the best pool area imho. Will have at least one pool open in Feb with loungers and beautiful grounds. Flamingo grounds with the nature area is great too.

aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for tropical pool complex during winter (early Feb.)

Flamingo has put in a bigger fence and the whole pool complex was closed last winter. Don't know about this winter. Might try MGM, they should have at least one pool open.

Kitchener Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for tropical pool complex during winter (early Feb.)

Call and confirm!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for tropical pool complex during winter (early Feb.)

Okay...so I called MGM and they said that they keep only one pool open, but they never know which one until closer to the time. The lazy river area, etc would NOT be open, even to walk around.

I've e-mailed the Flamingo, but it seems, based on reports and the post above, that it will not likely be open during the winter. And if there is a fence around it, we couldn't even walk around and enjoy the grounds.

What hotel has the indoor/outdoor pool? I've read about a partition that closes up one of the pools in the winter. Would it be the Tropicana?

It looks like the Mirage pools are open all year, and the Tropicana. Caesars Palace is open year round as well, but is quite expensive since it's a Friday night.

Mirage...$159.00

Caesars...$229.00

Tropicana...$189.00

MGM...$130.00

Flamingo...$125.00 (but this will be off my list if pool area is closed for the winter)

Prices may change...hopefully drop. I've joined their mailing list in hopes of getting a promo sale.

Edited: 23 September 2011, 22:21
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for tropical pool complex during winter (early Feb.)

When I went at that time of year it was 12 C in the day time! Even coming from the frigid cold doesn't make that pool weather lol Hopefully it will be warmer for you.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for tropical pool complex during winter (early Feb.)

Ha ha...you may be right...it may very well be too cold to swim. But it sure would be nice to walk around the tropical grounds and amybe jump into a hot tub. We're from Sudbury...4 hours north of Toronto...in February here, it's often -30 to -40degrees Celsius!!! So,although 12 C seems a bit chilly, maybe we'll get lucky and have it rise to about 15 or 16 degrees (60 degrees plus sun)...fine for me to jump into a heated pool!!!

Edited: 23 September 2011, 22:44
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for tropical pool complex during winter (early Feb.)

I wouldn't set my expectations very high for a tropical pool during Feb. in Vegas. Average Feb weather is 17C/4C hi/lo. It's the desert in winter.

aurora, co
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for tropical pool complex during winter (early Feb.)

When the Flamingo had their pool area open we used to use the hot tub, this was at the end of January. It was in the upper sixties (F) and sunny. Now the whole area is closed and I may have to rethink where we are going to stay this coming January. It is almost always warm enough to spend one day at the pool. One year it was in the seventies and we actually swam in the main pool at the Mirage.

Ontario
Level Contributor
557 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for tropical pool complex during winter (early Feb.)

The Tropicana does have a "winter pool", but I haven't actually been in the winter yet. The pool grounds are indeed very tropical though so it may be just what you are after. The pool manager at The Tropicana is Stacie, really nice to deal with.....she gave us a great deal on a cabana. Try calling her for more info.