We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grand canyon helicopter tours

Bournemouth, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
grand canyon helicopter tours

Can anyone recommend a good operator / company for a grand canyon helicopter tour?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,473 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grand canyon helicopter tours

Unable to offer any recommendations but wanted to ensure you were aware that any helicopter from LV will only go to what is known as the Grand Canyon West Rim which is a private enterprise outside the Grand Canyon National Park (GCNP) and is generally considered inferior to the GCNP.

The GCNP is around a 5 hr drive from LV and is best experienced with an overnight stay - see Top Questions for more information.

TomC

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: grand canyon helicopter tours

Kim F-

I'm looking for the same advice. If you went, who did you use and would you recommend them?

Thanks!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
249 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grand canyon helicopter tours

I went about 5 years ago with Papillion (sp?). I knew that it wasn't the best part of the grand canyon, but the entire experience was still fantastic. The flight to the canyon was interesting thanks to our knowledgable pilot. We didn't spend much time in the canyon, but there really wasn't anything to do once we got there anyway. (They land in a spot that doesn't really have hiking trails and they don't give you time for that anyway. ) We sipped on some champagne, took a few pictures and headed back to the strip. It was amazing and one of those moments in my life where I thought "wow, the average person does not get to fly to the grand canyon in a helicopter to sip a glass of champange".

If driving to the south rim for a night or two is not an option, then I don't think you should be discouraged from the helicopter tour. I did it and I'm glad I did.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,715 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grand canyon helicopter tours

Read the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page. Then make an informed decision.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: grand canyon helicopter tours

I did a tour in 07 with Papillion and I would highly recommend them

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grand canyon helicopter tours

After extensive research, we chose Maverick based on their safety record. We knew we were not going to see the "real" Grand Canyon, but due to time constraints, we figured this was better than not seeing any part of the Canyon. We chose the afternoon flight that flies back as the sun is setting (absolutely stunning views) and flies down the strip at night. It was an amazing experience. Our pilot was like a tour guide; he kept up a running commentary on land formations, history, culture, etc. He was very professional. It was expensive, but we considered it a once-in-a-lifetime event, and we were very pleased with our decision.

7. Re: grand canyon helicopter tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 08:41