We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Multiple Car Rental Reservations, Do you have to cancel?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Multiple Car Rental Reservations, Do you have to cancel?

I have made multiple reservations trying to get the best price. I have 2 with Hertz, 1 with Alamo and 1 with Thrifty. I have read on this forum that people will make multiple reservations and just go with the car rental that has the shortest line. Do you have to cancel the other reservations? The reason why I have 2 with Hertz is one shows an extra driver no additional charge and the newest cheaper one doesn't. Does it make a difference that I have two or can I use which ever one has the best rate at the counter?

If anyone can shed light on how rental car agencies work I am interested in finding out more. For example, how do they determine how many cars they keep in stock? The last time I rented a vehicle, I requested an economy, they had run out of vehicles and I ended up with a brand new SUV with in-transit stickers. Granted this wasn't in Vegas but in Grand Junction, CO during the Jr College World Series. I would be interested to know if they have deals with car dealerships when they run out of cars and then they just borrow off the lot.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Multiple Car Rental Reservations, Do you have to cancel?

No idea about your second paragraph, but common courtesy doesn't even enter into your thought process in your first?

Cheektowaga
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Multiple Car Rental Reservations, Do you have to cancel?

Cancel what you don't want so somebody else can get a rental,like Warmwinds said Common Courtesy.Why would rental agencies borrow cars from dealerships??? Weird question

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Multiple Car Rental Reservations, Do you have to cancel?

To be safe, I'd cancel the ones you don't need. Some rental companies will charge you a fee if you cancel less than 48 hours before your reservation. Maybe read your reservations regarding the cancellation policy.

Park Forest...
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Multiple Car Rental Reservations, Do you have to cancel?

People on this board talk about having multiple reservations and keeping the best deal. I haven't heard of people keeping reservations and using the fastest line. Usually, if you use the loyalty programs, you end up in faster lines.

As for how they do inventory, that's what the reservations are for. They probably pull from other local locations initially. And so many companies are owned by the same corporation that they can pull from sister companies. I have gotten cars from the National lane when Alamo sold out before. If they run out of your car selection, they will bump you up in class I haven't seen a need to pull from a dealer at LAS.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Multiple Car Rental Reservations, Do you have to cancel?

Be courteous as someday you will want a reservation and no cars will be available as someone will be holding two confirmations.

I think the saying, "treat others as you would like to be treated," works well in this situation.

Then again, you could make a couple hundred reservations and have no line at all when you get to the counter.

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Multiple Car Rental Reservations, Do you have to cancel?

I'd be careful with the terms and conditions of each reservation. Some companies do charge no show fees.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,182 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Multiple Car Rental Reservations, Do you have to cancel?

If you had a party and several people you invited told you that they were coming and then didnt show up or call to cancel, you probably wouldnt be to happy about that, so show the rental car companies the same courtesy.

As far as borrowing cars from a dealership? Uh no. Unless its some little rental outfit in some small town and the guy that owns the rental company is brothers with the guy who owns the dealership.

How do they know how many cars to keep in their inventory? Its called running a business. You forecast, you set you rates accordingly, you take reservations and then at some point if you have taken the number of reservations you feel appropriate with taking into consideration the no show factor, you shut off reservations and show no cars available. Rental car companies adjust their fleets bu buying and selling vehicles and moving vehicles from one area to another (think Palm Springs in the Winter and then out of Palm Springs in the Summer)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
745 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Multiple Car Rental Reservations, Do you have to cancel?

Always cancel the old one when you make a new one. It is just the right thing to do.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Multiple Car Rental Reservations, Do you have to cancel?

Personally I sometimes have two or three reservations active at one time and when I see that it's not going to get any cheaper, I cancel the other two.

I keep checking until 24 hours before I leave, and then cancel the ones that are useless at that point. I believe Alamo and National do not charge no-show fees, some of the bigger players do. It's just best to be courteous and cancel the res you don't plan on using.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Multiple Car Rental Reservations, Do you have to cancel?

Rental car companies will often "borrow" from their siblings. Alamo and National will do it, Thrifty and Dollar will do it...they MIGHT have an agreement with their competitors if they were really in dire straits.

It's also a fluid business, especially in Las Vegas, cars get returned all the time. We wanted just a compact, they said they were "upgrading" us to a full-size, well, the only thing in the row were pick-ups and suv's! A regular car pulled up, still soaking wet, we stood and waited til they dried the windows off for us and off we went.