We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from LA for NYE

Montebello...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Driving from LA for NYE

How much traffic should I expect at these times?

Leaving L.A. to Vegas at 6am on 12/31/11?

Driving from Vegas back to L.A. on 1/2/12 at 6am?

If there's heavy traffic at these times, what would be a better to start driving?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,572 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,043 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
571 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from LA for NYE

We drove home from Vegas on the 3rd two years ago. It was Sunday, the last day of the long weekend so comparable to Monday, the 2nd this year. We left Vegas at 5:00 AM and we were glad we did. Traffic was already getting heavy but it was still moving well and we sailed home.

I ended up staying up all night the night before and was still kind of toasted when we left. Not fun, don't think I'll be doing that again. Have fun and good luck, NYE in Vegas is a blast!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from LA for NYE

I'm not sure where you are staying but be aware that parking can be difficult on New Year's Eve. I'm sure you won't have a problem wherever you may be staying but there will be little chance of free parking anywhere else. We had to flash our "Diamond Card" in order to be allowed entrance to the Paris Parking area last New Year's Eve. I hope your hotel choice is convenient to your plans.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
9,974 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from LA for NYE

If you leave L.A. at 6 a.m. on SAT, 12/31, I would not expect traffic to be too bad. The night before, Fri, 12/30, it will be a nightmare. I would expect that even leaving L.A. at midnight on Fri night, there will still be a lot of traffic. (Normally, traffic out of L.A. is getting thin by 10:30 p.m. on a Friday night.)

I am not sure if traffic will be OK at 6 a.m. on Mon, Jan 2. I don't know how many businesses treat this as a Holiday Monday. If it is generally accepted as being a holiday monday, then you would be leavingearly enough to avoid massive traffic. But I just don't know what businesses are doing.

Burbank
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from LA for NYE

Crystal ball broken, Ouija board offline and Magic 8 Ball dry.

CA
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from LA for NYE

That 's the perfect time to start.

I have done this for all of the trips to LV including Thanksgiving and Christmas weekends. So far, I haven't experience any traffic by leaving at 6AM.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
949 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from LA for NYE

I might just be on the road with you. Probably the best time to get going.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,571 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from LA for NYE

That's definitely a great time to leave L.A.! Even if there's going to be horrible traffic that day, leaving that early in the morning should be great! But I doubt traffic will be bad that day. Most of the people will probably be leaving L.A. that Fri. Now on the way back may be a different story. Normally, leaving Vegas on a Mon. is great since most people usually leave on Sun. But as stated, a lot of people might have that Mon. off since New Years lands on that Sun., so they might be staying until Mon. But again, if you leave at 6:00 AM, it shouldn't even matter.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from LA for NYE

I have dont the drive a couple of times (but never at 6am on NYE). I have found that it is hard to predict traffic flow. It also depends on what day of the week NYE falls on and if people were able to get to town the day before or a few days before.

In effect, the variables are always so great that it is hard to predict.

Parking will be at a premium if you are staying on the strip.

Montebello...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from LA for NYE

Thanks for everyone's input.

I'll be staying at the Rio. I'm thinking that if I get to the Rio by about 11am on the morning of NYE, parking should still be available. Won't bother with the strip until after NYE.

I normally leave Vegas on weekend trips around 9am to avoid traffic, but have never been there for NYE. Sounds like if I leave on Monday around 6am, it should be clear.

10. Re: Driving from LA for NYE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 05:17