We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire?

North east england
Level Contributor
724 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire?

Im looking to hire a ford mustang or similar for our trip to Las Vegas next may. Unfortunately Hertz don't seem to have much availability for my dates, has any one used "Dollar Car-Hire" are they reliable?

Was wanting to hire quite a flash car / convertible (just for some fun - as my hubbie-to-be's 40th while we are there), and we are driving to south rim for an overnight stay.

I'm not familiar with the company as I am from UK and havent hired a car before.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,572 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
5,039 reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
571 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire?

Dollar is a totally reputable rental company and you should have no problems. Make sure you book using its ".co.uk" website rather than the US ".com" version. That way all necessary insurance that you'll require will be included and that should mean a better deal for you.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,567 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire?

Dollar are fine. Not sure you can specify a Mustang but it will be an 'or similar' for a convertible.

Also look at rates from www.usrentacar.co.uk, www.carhire300.com and www.ushirecar.co uk, and maybe www.americacarrental.com (although I've not used them).

They may have cheaper rates than direct with Dollar and will put a request for a particular vehicle to the supplier.

Edited: 07 October 2011, 10:17
North east england
Level Contributor
724 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire?

Thanks for that. Ive spoken to Dollar, hopefully they can get the mustang, slight problem is that they have two colections points, one being the airport, other being treasure island.

As we would already be in Vegas, TI would be handier, but they are saying its too early to book for TI, and that we'd have to collect the car from the airport...... now not sure what to do. We weren't planning on having the car for our whole trip, just for a few days in between to travel to th e grand canyon, so it would mean getting a taxi to the airport and collecting it... bit of a faff!! not sure what to do now.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,567 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire?

I've got a car booked from TI next May/June with usrentacar.co.uk with Dollar. Don't know why Dollar say its too early to book?

They also have a depot on Swenson St, not that far from the strip, which will pick you up from your hotel if you call them, and drop you off afterwards.

North east england
Level Contributor
724 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire?

Thats interesting to know. maybe because it is a "mustang convertible" im requesting? not sure.

Any way I've booked the car now - just to secure the type of car, at the moment it is for collection at the airport, but im going to ring the desk at TI and see (now ive got a confirmation number) if they can accomodate the booking.... fingers crossed.

PA
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire?

One of you take a shuttle to the airport to pick up the car. That would be cheaper than a taxi.

North east england
Level Contributor
724 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire?

Good idea.

Im going to try and ring the Dollar desk at TI later this afternoon, now that I have a confirmation number, and see if they can change the booking to them, but keep the choice of car, I'm sure as I'm giving them this much notice (not there till may 2012) they should be able to help, its part of a birthday surprise for hubbie-to-be, he's 40 while we are there!!! How busy a trip - 40th birthday and getting married !!! yeh!!

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire?

Did you mean it was too early in the year or too early in the day to pick it up. The airport is open 24 hours a day whereas the TI desk is only about 9AM to 5 PM each day.

9. Re: Car Hire?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 07:15