We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR: 9/26-10/01--safe crackin' at the Rio!

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
454 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
TR: 9/26-10/01--safe crackin' at the Rio!

It's been a week or so since we returned from our Vegas Vacation (VV). We had a great (albeit a little lazy) trip. Two of us have traveled to VV together before (our third trip) the third was a new-comer to our group. Flew out of Cleveland, stayed at the Rio, I'll post details as replies for those of you who are already on the edge of your seat.. and even for those who are not!

Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
449 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR: 9/26-10/01--safe crackin' at the Rio!

Now you have me intrigued! I've got my coffee and am ready for some fun reading!

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
454 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR: 9/26-10/01--safe crackin' at the Rio!

Day One--9/26/11 Monday:

Flew out of Cleveland... odd flight only in that we were securely in our seats, waiting for the safety speech.... kept hearing a large dog barking....I know people travel with their pets, but I've never heard the barking before. Anyway, a moment later the pilot announced a maintenance issue had been discovered, and he asked that all of us leave the plane, return to the terminal, the problem should be fixed in about an hour. So we did; some amongst us wondered if that pooch was a drug-sniffing dog? Who knows, we waited about an hour in the terminal, re-boarded and were on our way to Vegas. No other problems.

Nothing to report about taxi, he charged us about $24 (that included tip) from airport to Rio (did we pay too much? don't know, didn't think about it a the time). Arrived at Rio. Our second stay at the Rio, and once again we enjoyed it, only a couple of complaints during the week. Only a few folks at check-in, I asked to stay where the President would stay if he were here (no I did not offer this incredibly clever comment with a $20 bill). She smiled, got on the phone, and said she had 2 corner suites left, we could have one of those. Okay, thanks.

Our corner suite was similar to the one we had last trip, only a little bigger perhaps, with large screen plasma TV, fridge, and coffee maker. Very nice. View of the mountains, the Palms, and a just enough of the Strip to tease us.

We unpacked, and immediatley headed to the pool (probably about 4:00 p.m. by now). Ordered our first drinks in Vegas, which were strawberry frozen daquiris (?) I think and one friend had the Hurricane. $13 or $14 each for those who like every detail (like I do).

Sat in the hot tub until 6:30 (pool closes at 6:00 but we pleaded for more time).

Back to the room---what should we do our first night in Vegas! (We had decided earlier to toss our carefully planned agenda and just be spontaneous this trip.) We had to admit we were incredibly tired, but come on, we're in Vegas and it's only about 7:00 p.m. We decided to get room service (it was very good, hot and tasty and arrived quickly). Watched Pat Sajak/Wheel of Fortune on the plasma TV while we dined. We are living the dream. We were all asleep by 8:00 p.m. our first night in Vegas. Yes, we are ashamed.

More to come.....

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
885 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR: 9/26-10/01--safe crackin' at the Rio!

I'm on the edge of my couch. Let's hear it! ;)

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
454 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR: 9/26-10/01--safe crackin' at the Rio!

Day Two--Tuesday (9/27)--

We wake up about 6:00 a.m., just like we do at home (all three of us work together at local hospital). We are refreshed and energized. We don't care what people will think--day 2 in Vegas and we haven't really left the property yet. Okay, we care a little. Made our first pot of coffee (my dear friend always packs a coffee pot, this time it wasn't needed--we didn't anticipate having the Presidential Suite complete with coffee maker). So we fired up both pots. Smoked several cigarettes and planned our day. Decided our planning could best be done at the pool. Pool opens at 9:00, we were there by 9:15. Toasted in the sun (we chose the sandy beach pool our first day). Not too crowded, just right... except for the LOUD oh was it loud boom-box (yes I'm dating myself) club music? blaring. We stayed at the pool until about 3:00 p.m. or so. Foolhardy for me, as I had foregone the tanning bed prior to our trip. But I used my sunscreen and wasn't too too blistered by end of the day.

Back to the room, time to start our first adventure... let's go to the Strip--we get dressed, and go to the safe to retrieve our stash. And the safe won't open. We all accuse the other of keying in the wrong code. We are all innocent. We wait the required 30 minutes per the digital warning that we have tried to many times to open the safe. Still no luck.

We call the desk, and are informed that all safes are inoperable in the Masquerade Tower. WHAT??!! What are we to do? I have about $14 dollars in my pool fund, the rest is in the safe... I am a low rolling penny slot playing person, but even $14 won't do! The clerk tells us that they need to order a part to fix the safe, but she can't give us an ETA of said part. However, she was very helpful when she told us: The safes in the Ipanema Tower are working. Well, golly, thanks for that tip, BUT HOW DOES THAT HELP US? LOL. We had a fleeting moment of inspiration, and wondered should we be asked to be moved to the Ipanema Tower? No, no, our $$ would still be in the Masquerade Tower. Bad plan. (We're not very smart.) She sent an engineer to our room, he arrived and literally drilled open our safe, and informed us that we would have no safe for the rest of our stay. But, we could keep our money in the front desk safe. We decided to risk it and carried our bankroll with us for the rest of the trip. We were not robbed during our trip, so the story has a happy ending.

Took the free shuttle to the Strip for the evening of Day 2---

More details to come, I'll try to summarize a bit better, or this TR will take you several hours and 2 pots of coffee to read. Did I mention I like to capture every detail of our trip? Thanks for reading this far...

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
454 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR: 9/26-10/01--safe crackin' at the Rio!

Evening of Day 2 (con't):

Took free shuttle to the Strip. Very nice option, but I caution you not to do so at about 5:00 in the afternoon, as you must wait for shuttle in the blazing sun, no escaping it, and we had to wait the full 30 minutes for the shuttle to arrive. No big deal, after all it's free. We got dropped off at Harrah's (you have your choice of shuttle to Harrah's or another shuttle to Bally's). We arrived at Harrahs and did a little gambling, and this is where the newcomer friend (who isn't a gambler, she's not lucky, doesn't really care for it, but she doesn't mind watching us) was on the lookout for an American Idol machine. It was love at first sight for her when we played for a few minutes at the Rio the night before, where she promptly won $60 on a $10 investment. She won another $80 and she was hooked. I take pride in flipping a non-gambling friend into a hopelessly addicted gambler. Yes I do.

Did a little shopping in the Carnival Court (bought my grandson one of those personalized signs for his bedroom--he won't be thrilled, he's 7 and will expect much more, this I know). But Gramma has to bring him something back!

Had dinner at Hash House a Go Go at Imperial Palace. We all enjoyed it, yes the portions are huge, but I must admit I was able to finish mine, pretty much. I would go again, service was great, and I liked the whole experience. We are not gourmets, it was comfort food and we liked it.

Did I mention that on the way to HHAGG, my friend got a call from her husband, telling her that HE felt lucky, so play $100 on black and double her money. She did. She lost.

Walked around IP and Harrahs again, were back to the Rio by 10:00 or 11:00. All the fighting spirit was gone from my poorer friend, she went back to the room, we two stayed and played. I promplty lost about $100 on various slots (Miss Kitty was not my friend no matter how cute that pink cat seems to be). Back to the room about midnight, where newcomer friend gloated that she had won another $80 or so on American Idol, so her trip so far was free---she was ahead, even with dinner and shopping, blah blah blah. Great.

Day 3 to come....

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
18,510 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR: 9/26-10/01--safe crackin' at the Rio!

Hey we were at the Rio the 24th-26th and in the Ipanema Tower, and our safe worked ;)

Glad you had a good time!

Hermitage...
Level Contributor
765 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TR: 9/26-10/01--safe crackin' at the Rio!

Good TR so far-keep it coming. Glad you had a good trip!

Middletown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TR: 9/26-10/01--safe crackin' at the Rio!

Nice TR so far. I can relate to that first night in Vegas. Early flights kill ya. I use that first night in Vegas to make a commissary run over at Nellis AFB and stock pile the food and beverages and get acclamated with the area Im at and then hit the ground running the rest of the trip.

Lorain, Ohio
Level Contributor
454 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TR: 9/26-10/01--safe crackin' at the Rio!

Day 3 (Wednesday):

Out at the pool by 9:30 or so, stayed until 6:00. This was just plain stupid. Now I am way too sunburned (even with my sunscreen and trying to stay in the shade). Enjoyed the fish shaped (not sandy beach) pool for the rest of the trip, liked it better. My friend (who is by no means a drinker) went temporarily insane and had another Hurricane first thing. Polished it off, felt a little tipsy, and decided to have another. Big mistake. You don't need all the details, trust me, suffice it say we spent some time head-holding and cleaning up and assuring her that it was okay, folks see people get sick all the time in Vegas, don't be embarrassed, nobody knows you here anyway

Decided to eat at the Rio Carnival Buffet for the first time, and take the free shuttle to Bally's later in the evening. The Buffet was good, service was excellent, but I didn't think the buffet offered anything I hadn't had before at various buffets. Except maybe the noodle bowls on the Asian display. Desserts were very good, enjoyed the various gelatos they offered (coconut gelato is delicious). Overall I give it a B grade. I might go again, but wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Went to the Strip, stayed until about 12:30 a.m. or so, I went to Paris to try to find my daughter the only souvenir she asked for, one of those Eiffel Tower glasses you get at the pool. Couldn't find the place to get those. The Strip was packed with people, perhaps the busiest I've ever seen it, and the Paris was the same. I left discouraged and cranky.

Sat on the Strip across from Bellagio and people watched, mostly focused on the young (and older) women who are walking the Strip with 4- to 5-inch heels, and wondered how they could do that. My feet hurt with my sensible shoes, but then again, I am old. And fat. It was a beautiful night in Vegas, weather was perfect, sat there about 2 hours I bet. I already pointed out that this was a lazy trip to Vegas. Watched the fountains from afar.

Came back to Rio and tried to go to Voodoo Lounge. No dice. We had seen it before (free) but tonight they wanted $10 to get in (if they would have even approved of us older not dressed all that fancy in sensible shoes ladies getting in). I chose to save myself the rejection and the $10 for a slot machine.

Day 4 to come....

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TR: 9/26-10/01--safe crackin' at the Rio!

Loving it. Also very glad to see someone else in bed that early in Vegas. Now I don't feel so bad. Can't wait to read the rest!