We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo, anyone?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,223 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo, anyone?

I might be about to use Alamo for the first time and know nothing about them. I would appreciate members' views on whether they offer a good level of customer service?

Thank you.

(Yes, for those of you that noticed I did ask this question recently with Avis but that deal isn't a goer and Alamo's is.)

Mentioned in this post
Alamo
Alamo
Nevada
Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,628 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,112 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
404 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Milwaukee
Level Contributor
857 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo, anyone?

Alamo/National/Enterprise all have great customer service. I've used them probably a dozen times all over the country in the last year and haven't had a single issue.

Mentioned in this post
Alamo
Alamo
Nevada
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
16,538 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo, anyone?

Never had a problem with Alamo, the biggest rental co in the US. Rates are usually a bit higher than Dollar and I don't think they have any strip locations, only airport, so don't often use them in Vegas, but in rest of US and Canada they have been good when I have.

Mentioned in this post
Alamo
Alamo
Nevada
Tacoma,WA
Level Contributor
923 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo, anyone?

Used them in May and using them again this week..had no issues last time and expect none this time. As far as customer service, I used kiosk and interacted with 1 person and had no issues.

Benbrook, Texas
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo, anyone?

I used them in Las Vegas last week from Monday to Friday. They were good to work with. Did not push the insurance or any extras. We asked to be upgraded and that was not a problem since they had cars there. Would definately use them again.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
553 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo, anyone?

Always use Alamo. Never had any issues with them. I like the fact that when you reserve a car you can pick from any in the row of cars in your category. You're not told the one in spot #5 is yours.

Mentioned in this post
Alamo
Alamo
Nevada
Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
12,301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alamo, anyone?

The only "issue" we had with Alamo was in July....we had reserved a full-size car, and when we got to the lot, there weren't any available. The lot attendant told us they were working on getting some ready, and we would get the next one available. We ended up waiting about 10 minutes for a car. This was still better than using the counter, where we probably would have had to wait even longer, since there were about 20-30 people in line. (We used the kiosk). Still plan on using Alamo again next week, since they seem to have the best prices for what they are offering.

Edited: 10 October 2011, 20:18
Mentioned in this post
Alamo
Alamo
Nevada
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,198 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alamo, anyone?

Hi LDN, Alamo is fine. They don't have the same presence that Avis and Hertz do with corporate travelers (who don't care how much of their company's money they spend and for whatever reason need their hands held) so they try to keep their prices in line.

Look back over the past few days, there have been some threads with Alamo codes to try and get a lower price...but as I recall, weren't you renting one-way? Most codes would not help you there.

But Alamo is fine.

Mentioned in this post
Alamo
Alamo
Nevada
New Jersey
Level Contributor
553 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alamo, anyone?

rhinoman7

Next time something like that happens ask for an upgrade. They usually accomadate you at no extra charge. They did it for us in Florida last year.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
12,301 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alamo, anyone?

I tried that, but the lot attendant told me that when I got the vehicle to the check-out booth, they would charge me for the upgrade.

Now, assuming I had gone to the counter to check-in, I might have been able to do that, but since there were so many people in line already, it probably would have taken 30-40 minutes to get a car, as opposed to the 10 minutes it took to wait for the type of car I reserved.

As it turned out, I was happy with the car we got, and the wait wasn't that big of a deal. I was just happy to be back in Vegas!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,223 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alamo, anyone?

Many, many thanks to all of you. I really feel re-assured and will happily book now.

Ww, I am renting one-way, but I'm also using a UK-based third party so no promo code will help me. I've got a deal that works out stunning value compared to the direct price so I'm very happy.

Lots of droptop Mustangs in the fleet?