We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help w/ 1st Time Trip Over New Years

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
86 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help w/ 1st Time Trip Over New Years

My husband and I want to go to Vegas over New Years weekend. We are looking at staying at Palazzo, Encore or Four Seasons. I'm leaning toward the Palazzo. Is there a huge difference b/w the luxury suite and the prestige luxury suite? I'm sure the prestige is worth the extra money but is it a huge difference?

I was excited to be able to lay out in the sun but then I realized that the weather may actually be kind of chilly and some pools may be closed. Is this true? I also read that booking through third parties (expedia, orbtiz) is not recommended. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I'm trying to find the best possible deal obviously. Thanks in advance!

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,630 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,114 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
404 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
california
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help w/ 1st Time Trip Over New Years

There is no difference in the actual room itself. Prestige just gives you access to the lounge with continental breakfast and afternoon/evening snacks, plus drinks. You may be placed in a room on the same floor as the lounge, or you might be assigned a room on a different floor. Your key will be different and signifies you can access the lounge.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help w/ 1st Time Trip Over New Years

When I was there in December last year it was cold and rainy the whole time, no way I would have been out by a pool.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help w/ 1st Time Trip Over New Years

Also if Orbitz or Expedia is cheaper, sometimes I call the hotel directly and they will price match.

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Detroit, London
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help w/ 1st Time Trip Over New Years

I was there for New Years last year. We attended a live to air for Fox and it was the first time in history that Vegas was colder then New York city! None of the outdoor pools were open. I am hoping it is warmer this year.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help w/ 1st Time Trip Over New Years

It will most likely not just be chilly, but cold. I wouldn't bank on getting to lay out without a winter coat on. ;)

Palazzo suites are the same whether they are Prestige or not. Prestige just gives you some additional perks, like a lounge where you can have appetizers and drinks. Personally, I don't think Prestige is worth it.

Palazzo is my favorite hotel - you'll love it. :)

Oh, and beware that New Years Eve is a crazy time of the year to be in Vegas. It might be overwhelming for a first timer. Make sure to make dinner and celebration reservations in advance. They block the street off to traffic and people are everywhere.

Edited: 19 October 2011, 21:13
Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help w/ 1st Time Trip Over New Years

We went last NYE and just booked for this year. We are staying at Aria again, had a blast last year. Aria does have a heated pool open and hot tubs the size of small swimming pools. Also a beautiful spa. Bring warm clothes if you are planning to walk around at night. The fireworks at midnight are incredible. There was snowflakes on NY day. You will have a great time.

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help w/ 1st Time Trip Over New Years

You may get lucky, but chances are you will not be able to sit out in the sun during the day- at least not in a bathing suit.

I also wouldn't count on getting any deals for anything- hotel, clubs, restaurants, etc. It is probably the most expensive time of the year to be in Vegas.

yourstarla is correct. They close the strip to traffic early evening and it starts filling up with people until it looks like a mob scene. Think a mini Times Square. Drinks are served in plastic rather than glass for safety reasons. By midnight, many people are feeling no pain. At some points it is difficult to move independently. You move where the crowd moves- like it or not. If you stray far from your hotel, it can take a while to get back to it.

8. Re: Help w/ 1st Time Trip Over New Years

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 14:17