We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas or Negril, Jamaica????

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Topic
Vegas or Negril, Jamaica????

I didn't know where to post this question so I'm starting here.

I don't consider myself to be one that is well traveled, though I have been on about 7 trips in my life (none of which were planned by me).

Next year (June 2012), I'm turning 30 and I'm planning myself a trip. It will be my husband and I and one other couple. Right now I'm leaning toward Negril, Jamaica and Las Vegas, but can't decide. Also, I'm unsure if we should do an all-inclusive trip. I was told the main reason ppl do all-inclusive is b/c of the alcohol, but none of us drink, also I don't like the idea of having to only eat at the places in the resort or hotel. I like a lot of variety. So would all in-clusive be worth it for us? Or are we better off just booking hotel & flight and doing our own thing?

Also we want to have FUN, FUN, FUN...so which location do you think we'll get the most out of (none of us has been to either location).

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegas or Negril, Jamaica????

You're not really going to get particularly balanced responses here as most of the posters tend to be Vegas nuts! Personally speaking, an all inclusive resort has no appeal whatsoever to me as I look upon experiencing local dining and culture as an essential part of traveling. Based on that, my vote goes to Vegas... :-)

Edited: 21 October 2011, 20:08
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
13,559 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegas or Negril, Jamaica????

Just my opinion....

I find most of the Caribbean to be very depressing outside of the resorts. Many locals living in poverty we as American's can barely imagine. I've done the all-inclusive thing a few times (although never in Jamaica) and it's OK, but if I wasn't going to drink I don't know if it's good value. You do end up eating in the same few places every day and maybe I just haven't found the best ones, but I've found the food to be generally solid but mid-level, think Cheesecake Factory.

For variety of food and activities, I'd say Las Vegas gets the nod.

Edmonton Canada
Level Contributor
958 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegas or Negril, Jamaica????

Vegas and Negril and 2 totally different holidays .I have been to both (only for a day to Negril but 2 weeks Jamaica) .I love them both .Vegas is Go,Go, Go tons of walking and not too much relax time.Negril will be much quieter with beach time and resting.We did all inclusive for 1 week in Jamaica and villa for the next week.We havent been back to AI hotels since.I like the diversity ,ambaince and feel of a small hotel on a beach vacation much better.Also the food choices are way better going out and about .This also leads to meeting way more people.

Vegas has tons of food choices and bars and the hotel choices are abundant .I love both places but they really are totally differnt vacations.

Kenosha, WI
Level Contributor
11,965 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegas or Negril, Jamaica????

Considering the location of this post, I would have to say VEGAS!

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegas or Negril, Jamaica????

Can you elaborate on your definition of 'fun, fun, fun' ???

Vegas and Jamaica are two totally different vacations, with two totally different 'fun' themes.

I have been to both, and I will be going back to both. But, for different reasons.

Milwaukee, Wi
Level Contributor
76 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegas or Negril, Jamaica????

We do a all inclusive trip every spring and vegas in the fall. It all depends what type of vacation you are looking for. Negril is by far one of the prettiest beaches we have been on - warm water - and great beaches this spring will be our 19th all inclusive 6 times to Negril. We do this trip for the warm weather, read books and just relax after a long WI winter.

Vegas for us in fall is the fun - on the go - dining - gambling and drinking trip. We rarely use the pools and stay mid strip with TI being our home because of the good comps we get.

Email me off line if you want more info - used to be a travel agent - so I can make some decent recommendations.

Either way - its a vacation and a WIN in my book

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
266 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegas or Negril, Jamaica????

My beautiful wife and I have been to both and I have to agree with shellster, they are two totally different destinations. DaveNJ is right as well, while the carribean countries are gorgeous, the are very poor. This will be highlighted by the fact that you will fly in to Montego Bay and have to travel through the Jamaican countryside to reach Negril.

If you want to relax: Jamaica.

If you want FUN, FUN, FUN: Vegas. Hands Down.

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegas or Negril, Jamaica????

I figured I would get a lot of Vegas votes. I think I'm tipping towards Vegas the more and more I think about my trip. We're not gamblers either, but I was told that there is so much to do in Vegas other than gamble.

The only issue I have with Vegas is that I wanted to be on beach and enjoy some spa like features...

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegas or Negril, Jamaica????

Been to Vegas 3 times and to the Caribbean many times, but no AI. Do want a relaxing vacation on the beach, or more on the go and busy busy. You have to decide. Vegas will be on the go and lots of walking, and the other, the opposite. I love both but you have to decide what you want. June can bring on hurricanes so you have that to deal with especially later on in June. Either way you will have fun. I have to say that with AI they are probably not worth it if you don't drink.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegas or Negril, Jamaica????

Spa's are nice in Vegas. You will not have the beach though many pools are very resort like and huge.