We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Incidental charges

Limerick, Ireland
12 posts
Save Topic
Incidental charges

I'm taking my gf to Vegas for her 21st next march. I'm saving everything i have but am very worried about the amount of money i'd have to leave at the hotel for incidentals. I don't have a credit card and if i have to leave cash deposit it will leave me kinda short in terms of spending money.

We will be stay 7 nights and thats a big chunk of money for me

Any know of hotels that you can opt out of incidentals?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Incidental charges

Not meaning to be the naggy mommy here, but my suggestion is also to get a credit card in case of emergency. Cancel it when you get home if you don't like the idea of keeping it. (Basing this on that your credit is good enough to get a card). If you haven't established credit a parent may be able to be a co-signer on a card with you to assist.

Strange things happen on vacations - one of which also can be the theft of cash. Carrying a large sum of money is not a wise idea also (although some people are comfortable with it). Another can be an illness (requiring doctor or ER visit), flight change or cancellation (requiring rebook or extra nights hotel rooms), etc. You get the idea. I have people I know that do not ever use the card but they have it with them - just in case.

Limerick, Ireland
12 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Incidental charges

Thanks again for the replies guys. you've put my mind at ease, i know which hotel to book now.

As regards a credit card, I just don't like the idea of having one, can't really afford to keep one nor trust myself to either. I was thinking of getting a laser debit card so i didn't have to carry that much cash on me over there.

North east england
Level Contributor
694 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Incidental charges

I also do not normally use a credit card in the UK, I have no need for one, and I also didn't like the idea of having one. I currently use my debit card for most things or cash.

However after doing plenty research regarding the way "things" are done in the USA, I have got a card just for our trip next year to use for such things like hotel and hire car security.

I'm keeping this card separate from my spending money, not counting it as part of my spends....

After our trip I will probably cancel the card and not use the card when back in UK.

(my bank manager couldn't believe I'd never had a credit card at the age of 37!!)

I think you should consider getting one just for the trip, for such things as the hotel security, it doesn't mean that it will have huge charges on when you get home. as like I said it is slightly different the way things are handled in the USA.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 09:28
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Incidental charges

I've been traveling for work for about 6 years now (8 months a year) all over the US, and it is rare a hotel will let you opt out of using a credit or debit card unless: 1. They offer a cash option, but this is usually a higher rate. 2. It's a low-end private place (which inevitably smells funny).

Any time you can, always use a credit card - never a debit card. A hold released on a credit card is immediate.

While the hotel will release the hold immediately on your debit card, your bank will often take their time. It's not the hotel, by the way, causing a delay, it's your bank.

Sure, there are room charges as the reason. But there's more. If it were my hotel, I wouldn't assume everyone who stays there is as honest as I am ... as a corporate fraud investigator, I've seen some scary people.

The bottom line is that there's too much liability not to ask for a card. The places I usually stay have flat screen TVs, iPod docking stations, expensive coffee makers, custom pillows, etc. You'd be amazed how often those things walk out of a hotel, so they've got to have a way to recover.

If they don't take a credit card and recover those things from the people who actually stole or damaged or spent ... guess who they'll come after to make it up? Yep, you guessed it -- the rest of us!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Incidental charges

I say save until you can afford Las Vegas. You are coming a long way to be short on cash.

26. Re: Incidental charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 18:15