We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

police

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
police

Are there any police officers on this forum that live in Vegas? If so, here is my question.

My wife and I have been going to Vegas for 26 years, sometimes 2 or 3 times a year. Recently, I have notice that the strip has atttracted a lot more vagrants and gangsters, especially on the stairways that go up and over the strip. Besides the typical begging, they appear more vocal and fights have occurred. We have seen one of them doing heroin.

Being a retired police officer, I was wondering how much emphasis is put towards the strip by the Vegas PD? Do you attempt to "relocate them"? I would bet that Vegas PD is undermanned just like every other department. Just curious, because the vagrants and gangsters seem to be more visible on the strip now. In the past, you just ignore them, but now they seem to be more pushy and vocal. Not complaining about the cops, you do a great job. I was just wondering how much emphasis is place on these "knuckleheads"?.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
1 review
Save Reply
31. Re: police

Just wondering if anyone on here has first hand experience of any trouble from these people? (Other than the begging).

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: police

we saw a bit of trouble on the bridge between Ex and NYNY. Some homeboys were trying to sell their rap CD's and a couple of Mexican's just started shouting racist abuse at them. Don't know what was said that started it. What surprised me the most was the guys just laughed it off and started chatting to us about it. Was expecting a shoot out or have I been watching the Wire to much !! They looked like gangsters but were very friendly and well educated. Also got offered drugs a few times outside PH but no hassle.

North east england
Level Contributor
706 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: police

Ive found this a very interesting debate.... Im travelling to Las vegas for the 1st time may 2012, so any info regarding my safety is welcome.

Im a bit dismayed as to the few people that feel the need to turn this into a personal vendetta against the re-tired officer that made this post.

Regarding "gangsters" yes they are knuckleheads!!! anybody that breaks the law in my mind deserves this title.

I also agree with post regarding drug-addicts shooting up in the street, there is no need for it. Most diabetics would not dream of administrating their medication sitting on a footpath, they would probably go to a restroom or other....

Regarding this post " You see citizens, and assume they are vagrants, gangsters and call them knuckleheads." - who said anything about citizens?

These low-lifes (and yes we have plenty of them in the UK also) are idiots who pray on vunerable others, anyone who breaks the law or makes others lives unbearable should be punished no matter which country.

Im still totally excited about visiting Las Vegas as the majority of citizens sound great and also very helpful.

ads
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: police

don't let anything worry you, no worse than a Saturday night in England !!Just keep hold of your wallet or purse as my friends wife got dipped and nearly lost her purse.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,001 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: police

An interesting thread. But if I see one more use of "pray" when the person really means "prey", it's gonna drive me up a wall.

Signed,

Language Police.

Ontario
Level Contributor
614 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: police

I go twice a year for at least a week. Other than some requests for money...I have had no bad encounters on the Strip or downtown.

(LOL..at the roving valets!)

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,695 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: police

Got to agree with ads.

Given the amount of alcohol consumed, and age of many of the visitors, I'm amazed there is not more problems as seen in many of our towns and Cities every weekend. Compared to my memories of a Saturday night out around the Big Market, from my student days, Vegas is one of the cities I feel most safe in around the world in those circumstances.

Edited: 02 November 2011, 12:50
Canada
Level Contributor
857 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: police

I was there last week and I saw police removing homeless people twice. Once on the walkway between MGM and New York, New York, and once on a bench in front of the Paris. I also saw those roving guardians on the strip. Tthere was a group of them all male laughing and talking it up with 2 ladies dressed like dance girls from the show Jubilee.

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
1 review
Save Reply
39. Re: police

It's a tough one for the police. Yes they need to be active in keeping all areas safe but at the the same time don't want to create any unnecessary drama or public scenes that may lead any viewing public to believe an area is unsafe.

Park Forest...
Level Contributor
11,487 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: police

Update on efforts to clean up the strip:

lasvegassun.com/news/…