We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this dodgy?

Brighton
Level Contributor
782 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is this dodgy?

One weird thing we had on our recent trip to the mirage was some guy asked us what room number we were on, I said why? He said he can't get up to his room and doesn't know his floor number. I told him number 26 is A, 27 is B etc and he had to put his room card in to access the floor. He didn't put his card in so I said again; "put your card in there" he pulled out a vdara card and I say that's the wrong hotel. We get out at lift and he says oh I feel so stupid etc etc and goes back down.  Now is it just me or is that strange as hell? You can't go to the wrong hotel unless your smashed (which he wasn't) he asked us our room number then when we didn't give it to him and challenged him he seemed apologetic and nervous and said the story that he can't get to his floor. Am gonna do a separate thread about this. 

Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this dodgy?

Sounds dodgy as hell.

California
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
42,917 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this dodgy?

"Am gonna do a separate thread about this."

Isn't this the seperate thread?

Dodgy is a good word. I hate to seem cynical, but trusting strangers you meet in an elevator might be a mistake. Sounds like you handled it well.

Brighton
Level Contributor
782 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this dodgy?

Yeah forgot to take that bit out. Oops

Ireland
Level Contributor
146 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this dodgy?

Just a thought, had you taken a lot of cash from your pocket that day, were you wearing expensive jewellery, had you expensive phones or laptops out earlier? Just curious if you may have done something or spoken about something for that person to ask your room number. Not implying that it's your fault! Just curious why this person selected you.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this dodgy?

Better safe than sorry.

Brighton
Level Contributor
782 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this dodgy?

Not that I know of. We don't wear expensive jewellery and dont really have massively nice things to talk about. Just basic laptop phone etc. Weird

calleefoneeya
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this dodgy?

VDara seems like a pretty high end place for a low life to be staying at, but presumably he picked that up from some unsuspecting mark?

Very strange. I wonder how many people would actually just tell some stranger in an elevator their room number?

New Mexico
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this dodgy?

This is why I mentioned in the other thread about carrying thousands of dollars in your pocket while traveling is a bad idea. There are so many predators out there looking to take advantage of someone. You played it smart, there is no reason anyone needs to know your room number. Even staff should have some sort of identification before you give them any info. Oh and people are very gullible, I see it everyday in my line of work. It amazes me how many people I see victimized cause they were just to oblivious to see it coming. Same thing with these craigslist scams, how stupid can some people be?

Boston
Level Contributor
15,119 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this dodgy?

Good for you for keeping your wits about you. We'll never know whether the guy was planning something nefarious or was just a flake, but thanks to your discretion you didn't have to find out. I hope others will learn from your example.

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this dodgy?

He gets your room number and then you to access the floor. He goes to a room near yours, tries his key, tells you it must be demagnetized and then asks to use your room phone to call the desk. After that, the level of mayhem is your guess.

Just supposition. Don't know if it's an established scam but follows...