We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best one day excursion?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best one day excursion?

Will be in Vegas this time next week. Have already booked an excursion to the Grand Canyon, but want to do one other one day excursion.

Can't decide between Valley of Fire, Bryce Canyon or Red Rock Canyon. From photos I've seen the Valley of Fire & Bryce Canyon look the most interesting, but I understand are a good few hours journey from Vegas? And Red Rock Canyon is the closest, but doesn't look as interesting.

We weren't planning on renting a car, so would need to be an organise group excursion with a professional tour company.

Can anyone help with this decision?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best one day excursion?

Valley of Fire is only an hour from Vegas. Definitely worth a visit and superior to Red Rock in every conceivable way.

Bryce Canyon NP is a slightly different proposition altogether. About four hours from Vegas and a lot more to see when you get there. A day trip would only really give you a brief taste and an overnight stay would be much more satisfactory. Zion NP is an hour or so closer and is a better bet as a day trip from LV but again, you'd only have time for a basic overview of all that's there. Ask for more information on the respective forums for those places.

Death Valley is another possibility.

London, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best one day excursion?

Thanks! I don't know why I thought Valley of Fire was further away! I just haven't had the time to do any proper research & now I'm only a week away from going, I'm in a mad panic to do research before I go!

So then, Valley of Fire or Death Valley?

Also, any recommendations on good tour guides for either location?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best one day excursion?

Are you going to Grand Canyon National Park ,or Grand Canyon West. Big difference.

Bryce Canyon is close to five hours away, and you lose an hour entering Utah.It gets dark very early this time of year. Zion National Park is just shy of three hours away, and again you lose an hour entering Utah. Zion would be much easier to do as a daytrip.At Bryce, you really need to keep an eye on the weather, especially this time of year. Bryce sits at 8000+feet, and can be very cold and snowy.

There are companies that promote a Zion/Bryce combo in one day, which is rediculous.You won't see a thing except the inside of a car.

Maybe consider a trip to Valley of Fire. Thats close to Vegas. I think Pink Jeep may go there.

Ijamsville, Maryland
Level Contributor
110 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best one day excursion?

Red Rock is a nice trip. I took a trip there and did a horseback excursion through the mountains which was great. The biggest benefit of going to Red Rock is that it's closer, so you are not spending all day in a car and the mountains are beautiful. The other parks mentioned are bigger and as the others have stated, likely would require more time to truly appreciate what they have to offer. Valley of Fire is very scenic as well and close by. As far as excursion companies, you might want to call the hotel concierge to see who they suggest and see if there are any discounts offered to their guests that aren't advertised.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best one day excursion?

Scoot City Tours through Red Rock. We did it a week ago and it was awesome! You get to drive these neat little scooters all different colors that look like skittles. Lots of fun and only about 4 hours in total. Highly recommend them. They have a website you can check out for more details but they pick you up at your hotel and bring you back when you are done.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best one day excursion?

Vegas veteran here. Valley of Fire is beautiful, and I highly recommend it. We find that it is very nice there this time of year, since you no longer have the intense heat of the summer. Valley of Fire is a short trip by Interstate 15. The place has gorgeous scenery.

7. Re: Best one day excursion?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2012, 10:22