We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar Rent a car. What can I expect?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
222 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Dollar Rent a car. What can I expect?

OK so I've booked the trip for the third week in January and got a good package deal with airfare, room, and a car for 5 days. The rental car we're using is Dollar and I would like to know what can I expect from them both good and bad. What should I look out for. What type of experiences others have had using them. I know enough not to get the additional insurance but what other items will they charge.

Thanks for any and all advive. TA has been a really great source of useful infor and some great trip reports.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,409 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dollar Rent a car. What can I expect?

Been using Dollar for decades and have not had a problem with them yet, do sign up for the Dollar Express, you bypass the main counter on the upper floor and go down stairs to where your car is.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,761 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dollar Rent a car. What can I expect?

I don't know of any differences between Dollar and the other large car rental companies. Depending on when you arrive, you might expect long lines at the car rental depot.

Join Dollar Express on line to get express service and avoid the lines.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
222 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dollar Rent a car. What can I expect?

Thank you for your advice and I will sign up with Dollar Express.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,807 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dollar Rent a car. What can I expect?

<<<but what other items will they charge.

You will need a credit card for the $350 deposit. This is an authorization and not actually a charge.

Edited: 16 November 2011, 13:31
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dollar Rent a car. What can I expect?

We rented a car from Dollar (via a 3rd party) a year ago on our latest trip to USA and didn't have any problems. We rented it from LA and returned it to LV and there were no drop-off fees. We had a clean and fairly new Dodge Charger and were pretty happy with it.

I read a lot of bad reviews about Dollar before our trip, but everything went smoothly.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dollar Rent a car. What can I expect?

As a follow up? I've rented a Mustang (or similar) through Dollar to pick up from TI in a couple of weeks time.

Will it be a mustang I wonder? Also, should I expect a big line if I don't go for the express option, or is express only for depots?

Also, any idea what's the earliest I can pick up and if there are any nearby gas stations around for when I return?

Thanks in advance.

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dollar Rent a car. What can I expect?

Hi

If you are picking up your car from TI then there is no need to go for the express option....never seen a queue there.. When booking with Dollar you usually have to choose what time you want to pick up the car. Also do you have to return the car with a full tank of petrol? We have hired many cars from Dollar but never had to return with a full tank. There is a petrol station on the strip opposite mandaley bay hotel

8. Re: Dollar Rent a car. What can I expect?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2012, 10:20