We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

esta

england
Level Contributor
408 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
esta

3 lads off to vegas on jan 5th. 2of us got our esta no problem.the 3rd lad got refused and has to get a certificate off the police and go to the embassy in london. he got done for drink driving about 9years ago i suppose there is obviously a chance they can deny his esta i was just wondering if anyone had heard of someone being denied for these reasons before?

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,625 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam from Las...
5,112 Reviews
from US$142.99*
US$224.90
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
403 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter and...
915 Reviews
from US$598.99*
US$650.00
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,212 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: esta

The ESTA is available subject to certain rules including criminal convictions which I assume he declared during the ESTA application.

Having been refused an ESTA he now has to go through the process of getting a visa from the US Embassy which will be more time consuming (it requires an interview at the embassy) and probably more expensive although I don't think they will ultimately refuse a visa for a drink/drive conviction.

Missouri
Level Contributor
879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: esta

I'm certainly not an expert on the subject but I don't think drinking and driving would be an issue. (especially so long ago) Typical denial reasons are issues of national securtiy or some more common answers listed on this page.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1074/~/esta-application-denied

england
Level Contributor
408 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: esta

thanks guys.i didnt think they would but ya never know

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: esta

He'll have to get a visa from the embassy, be interviewed and pay the extra few quid should be no problems as long as he handles himself correctly.

Down side is he will get grilled once in the the US again as the visa is a sure fire way for security to know he has a conviction.

Right of the Center
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: esta

"Down side is he will get grilled once in the the US again as the visa is a sure fire way for security to know he has a conviction."

The opposite is probably true. DHS should trust the work done by the embassy during the interview process and will be less likely to suspect a traveler granted a visa than somebody using the visa waiver program.

Leeds
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: esta

Downside probably sounds a bit negative but from what I understand there is not too much detail on the visa as to why it has been issued and he's likely to have to explain the reasons for issue.

Either way, better to have the correct visa than to click "no" to everything on a esta and get caught out.

england
Level Contributor
408 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: esta

JUST THOUGHT I WOULD UPDATE THE SITUATION AND WARN ANYONE ELSE THAT MIGHT END UP IN SIMILAR CIRCUMSTANCES:

my mate has paid up for his trip in jan and has been told he had to go to london for an interview to get his visa because of a drink driving charge 10 years ago.he was told today the whole process can take at least 5-6 months.so he has had to sell his holiday to a friend

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: esta

Hi

Wow thats harsh for a stupid mistake 10 years ago!

Clive

england
Level Contributor
408 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: esta

well to be honest thats exactly my thoughts its not as if its drug or violence related. but i suppose its a serious enough offence

Missouri
Level Contributor
879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: esta

Wow, I can't believe they wouldn't have a process thats a little quicker for petty cases such as this. Thanks for the update and sorry your friend won't be able to travel.