We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upscale casual dining for a solo traveler

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Upscale casual dining for a solo traveler

Hey forum - I did a search for this topic and the most recent answer I could find was from early 2009, so I thought I'd ask again since restaurants can come and go so quickly in Vegas.

I'm a solo traveler going to Vegas for two nights as a little treat to myself before heading home for the holidays. I've been to Vegas many times, but this is my first time going alone, so most of the restaurants I know are either good for groups or very pricey "splurge" places. I'm looking for good solo dining place, nothing too outrageous, just a friendly, casual restaurant with solid food where I can get a properly mixed cocktail, maybe just eat at the bar. I had one very great and one very mediocre experience at Nob Hill Tavern at MGM Grand, so I probably won't return, but that's sort of the vibe I'm looking for. Suggestions? Thanks!

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upscale casual dining for a solo traveler

As a solo traveler, I have not found any restaurant to be off limits. If I want a particular type of food, I will just go in and ask to be seated either at the bar or a table. So my advice would be to just pick what food you like and go.

I've read on here occasionally that a traveler felt they got attitude from their server when dining alone, but I have always had the opposite experience. The servers always seem to be very helpful and attentive when I'm dining alone.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
6,957 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Upscale casual dining for a solo traveler

DOCG at Cosmopolitan. The food is great (its Italian) and the cocktails are wonderful. The restaurant is the casual sister to Scarpetta- both are Scott Conant restaurants.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
8,557 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upscale casual dining for a solo traveler

Grand Lux in The Venetian has always been a good place for me whence solo.

Vermont
Level Contributor
4,069 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Upscale casual dining for a solo traveler

Bouchon strikes me as both Upscale and Casual. It's a little expensive but it'd be great for a solo traveler.

Olives at Bellagio is Upscale and fairly Casual. You can sit at the bar there, if I remember properly.

The Grand Lux is always a great spot for anyone. Less Upscale more Casual but certainly a nice place.

THE Burger Bar at Mandalay would be good.

I'd think that just about any sushi bar in town would be good for a solo traveler.

Toronto
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Upscale casual dining for a solo traveler

Try First Food @ Palazzo. Fits your "upscale casual" requirement and not pretentious. I've eaten solo there at the bar many times.

Edited: 15 December 2011, 14:14
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Upscale casual dining for a solo traveler

I love upscale casual and dine solo that way often.

Yellowtail in Bellagio for sushi

B&B in Palazzo/Venetian

Sensei in Bellagio

Mesa Grill in CP

best

the pokerfoodie

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
539 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Upscale casual dining for a solo traveler

We saw a couple of solo diners at Le Cave in Wynn and they were treated extremely well. I love a place with small plates as a great option for eating alone. I would also highly recommend Tableau for brunch or lunch as it is so elegant...and, the wait staff gushes over you.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Upscale casual dining for a solo traveler

I've eaten at a number of the more upscale restaurants in Vegas solo. I tend to get there once or twice a year for conferences. I have never had an issue nor have I felt that I stood out dining alone. That could be that I travel a lot for my job and am used to eating at nicer restaurants alone. There have been a couple of times when they suggested that I eat at the bar instead of at a table. Most of the time I will oblige them and head into the bar. Though sometimes I do tell them that I would prefer a table as I want to spread out and do some work while I am eating. Its never been an issue and they just give me a table.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Upscale casual dining for a solo traveler

Saw some solo diners at Wolfgang pucks bar and grill in MGM. Great food, upscale casual. Def recommend it.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
412 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Upscale casual dining for a solo traveler

The bar at Mastros (in the Crystals Mall) is very friendly, great food, TV's above bar, piano guy excellent.