We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas and New York for Christmas and New Year...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Las Vegas and New York for Christmas and New Year...

I'm thinking of spending Christmas and New Year in the States next year and probably want to spend one in Las Vegas and the other in New York.

Which way round would members suggest I did it and why?

Thank you.

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas and New York for Christmas and New Year...

One what?

I would definitely spend Christmas in NYC over LV. There is no comparison when it comes to decorations etc. and believe it or not, New Yorkers are actually pretty friendly this time of year.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas and New York for Christmas and New Year...

I don't know what you're asking, bacchuslimo? Christmas in one city, New Year in the other.

Also, for me, there's going to have to be a lot more going into the decision than decorations, which I'm only peripherally interested in.

Also also, I've never had a problem with New Yorkers' level of friendliness at any time of year. If they were any different New York wouldn't be the same for me.

Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas and New York for Christmas and New Year...

Ok I see it in your title now.

If holiday festivities are wasted on you then I don't see where it matters unless you'd like to share what does interest you.

They are two completely different cities with only one shared situation in this case which is they are both very crowded on NYE.

Of course fielding this question on a forum chock full of gamblers is a bit loaded as well.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas and New York for Christmas and New Year...

The question has been posed to both Las Vegas and New York forum followers.

I am very interested in holiday festivities, which I think extend much further than lights and decorations.

Everything interests me. Everything. I rule nothing out.

I'm sure that Christmas and New Year are fabulous in both cities but I can't be in both at once so have to make a decision. And I'd like to feed off people's experiences to help me make that choice. I don't think here, of all places, that is too much to ask.

Edited: 19 December 2011, 17:53
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas and New York for Christmas and New Year...

Simply put NYC delivers a much more festive holiday atmosphere than LV where it seems things are business as usual and its typically slower.

On the other hand (and I haven't been) it seems to me LV would be a better party spot for NYE since its a 24/7 party spot. I've done Times Square for NYE and once was fine.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas and New York for Christmas and New Year...

NYC for xmas and LV for NYE.

london
Level Contributor
330 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas and New York for Christmas and New Year...

I would go the other way for sure - Christmas in LV is very pleasant - busy but not overly so and pretty much everything is open - whereas in NY it will not be.

I hated my one NYE in Las Vegas - last year. Far too many people and some pretty unpleasant behaviour. Maybe I'm getting old, but I wouldn't do it again.

The other thing to note, if you are coming from London- it makes sense to stop off on the way back not on the way there if you want to reduce both travel time and jet lag.

Edited: 19 December 2011, 21:10
yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Vegas and New York for Christmas and New Year...

I wouldn't go to NYC for New Years. I think that would be a hectic nightmare. I'd do NYC for Christmas and LV for New Years.

It's insane in Vegas on NYE, but I can only imagine NYC would be 80000 times worse.

Edited: 19 December 2011, 21:15
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,109 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Vegas and New York for Christmas and New Year...

There are plenty of things open in NYC at Christmas. OK, the major stores and museums are closed. But plenty of shops open, restaurants, bars, movies. Certainly enough to keep busy for the one day before things pop back into normal.

I would do NYC for New Years and do Vegas first, just to shorten the jet lag for the return trip home.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Vegas and New York for Christmas and New Year...

Keep 'em coming. This is what I want. I don't want everyone to agree!

I'm going to keep my thoughts to myself for now.