We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic route Las Vegas to Death Valley

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
368 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic route Las Vegas to Death Valley

Hello, in a few of days we will be driving from Las Vegas to Death Valley, as it is a reasonably short drive we wonder if there is a scenic alternative route that we could take. We are doing separate day trips from LV to Valley of Fire and Hoover Dam during our LV stay

Thank you.

Rancho Cucamonga
Level Contributor
8,240 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic route Las Vegas to Death Valley

as far as I know there is really only one direct route, and it is scenic. With the exception of the 15S to Blue Diamond, I bet you'll enjoy the trip.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
163 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic route Las Vegas to Death Valley

Just take route 95 to Beatty. It is plenty scenic. After turning at Beatty, be sure to stop in Rhyolite. I advise NOT going the route through Pahrump. I did this on the return trip and it took forever and wasn't scenic.

las vegas
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic route Las Vegas to Death Valley

Try both routes. One going to and one coming from. Stop at the winery in pahrump. At amargosa, stop and take stop photos at the opera house. It's supposed to be haunted. Rhyolite is pretty cool so definitely stop there.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic route Las Vegas to Death Valley

Is the road from Beatty into DV paved now? It wasn't many years ago when we went in our own car, and I'm pretty sure many car rental contracts preclude you from driving on unpaved roads. It was VERY rough back then.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
33,862 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic route Las Vegas to Death Valley

Warm, the road into DV from Beatty was fine when I was last there around 3 years ago.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic route Las Vegas to Death Valley

Good - maybe it's time for us to make a return trip, there was lots we didn't see.

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
368 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic route Las Vegas to Death Valley

Thank you for all the replies. We will have 3 nights in DV before heading to LA and are really looking forward to our time in DV. I think we will take the route as suggested by Davebutch. Thanks again

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
256 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic route Las Vegas to Death Valley

Warmwinds -- I think the main road from Beatty (Daylight Pass Rd/NV374) has been paved for a long long time. Are you sure you didn't take Titus Canyon Road? That's definitely unpaved (still), definitely scenic and adventurous, and not recommended for anything with low clearance including rental cars.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic route Las Vegas to Death Valley

You are correct, josh. I just looked at a map and it had to have been Titus Canyon Road. I remember it being one-way, very rough, and we had overnighted in Beatty so were driving it early in the morning, which we chose to do so the sun would be at our backs. Definitely remember the low-clearance signs.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,789 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic route Las Vegas to Death Valley

And I will now officially stop warning people about that dirt road since there clearly is another alternative!