We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Vegas

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Las Vegas

Hello,

Me and my fiancé are going to las Vegas for the first time between 04/02/2012 - 13/02/2012. We are staying at the MGM Grand.

We are taking around £2,500GBP between cash and a travel card.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips we are not major gamblers we are looking to make the most of the holiday so any tips regarding places to eat, drink see would be great.

We are thinking about hiring a car for a few days and deffo want to go to the hoover dam and grand canyon so any tour companies you can recommend would be great.

Michigan
Level Contributor
6,564 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Vegas

Personally once you get there I'd just let everything come to you. If you see something you would like to eat/ see go for it. You could get many suggestions on here not all of them might be for you. Explore and do what you think would appeal to you.

Brighton
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Vegas

Lots of good tips about bargains and making your money stretch if you do a search. Quick tips are:

1) Sign up to Groupon and Livingsocial for offers on shows, tours, food, spas etc

2) Buy www.restaurant.com certificates looking for the extra discount code on www.couponmom.com first

3) If you are hiring a car, do you need a tour company? If so, avoid Comedy on Deck Tours who act more as a taxi service, less as tour guides from my experience. Both Adventure Photo Tours and Pink Jeep Tours are great

4) MGM breakfast buffet isn't great

5) Print out several copies of this link and use it for discount booklets for the malls, including food offers. Some of the malls will keep the copies (they should just cross out their names), so always best to have spare copies - destinationcoupons.com/nevada/…coupon.asp

6) For show offers, sign up to smartervegas, broadwaybox, goldstar and lasvegasadvisor - all .com

And have a great time!

Rancho Cucamonga
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Vegas

The drive to Hoover and GC is awesome. Just drive on the right side of the street.

liverpool
Level Contributor
316 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Vegas

Plenty of cheap eats in or around the mgm.

if you are going to hire a car do so before you leave from a british website (dollar netflights) rates are very cheap.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Vegas

Personally I find the MGM breakfast buffet to be very good. Definitely worth a visit if you are staying there....

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
689 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Vegas

You can get tickets for most shows when you are there, but if there are any of the top shows (such as 'O' or 'La Reve") that you think are must do shows then book before you arrive, but check the web for vouchers / discounts first. You can probably get them during your stay although it depends what else is on during the time you are there, such as conventions.

North Wales uk
Level Contributor
554 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Vegas

Our insurance needs are different then a someone for the USA when hiring a car.Be sure to take Andypwill s advice and book it from over here or it could end up costing you dear.

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Vegas

Since you are traveling from so far away and are unfamiliar with Las Vegas, I wouldn't just "wing it." If you had been to Las Vegas many times and plan for many more return trips, that works just fine.

My recommendation is to spend as much time reading this forum as possible so you are familiar with the huge number of choices you have before you arrive. It's amazing how much you can learn on this forum, even by reading threads you think don't have anything to do with what you are interested in.

As you read, keep notes of what you might like to see or do or where you might like to eat. You can organize it by hotel and by location on the strip (north, center, south). That way you can avoid backtracking during your trip.

Any time you have a question about something, post it on TA. It's a wonderful resource and has helped me pick and save $$ on hotels, food, and shows.

Be sure to sign up for the suggested web sites. Groupon frequently has discounts for tours.

Have fun reading and planning!

Michigan
Level Contributor
6,564 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Las Vegas

""unfamiliar with Las Vegas , I wouldn't just wing it" The first time I went to Vegas I didn't know a darn thing about it and we just winged it and had a great time. . I Have been back about 50 times since then and still wing it other than air and hotel. Over planing a trip takes all the fun out of it. There is so much to do there as an adult if you can't have fun without planing......

DaShores
Level Contributor
785 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Las Vegas

Where to start?

try not to do everything in one trip, some of the show tickets can be purchased the day of the show at 2 for 1 tickets, right outside the MGM, they are significantly reduced. I think the MGM is a great place for you to stay, lots of great restaurants and i believe the breakfast buffet is also great.

Learn basic strategy blackjack blackjacktactics.com/blackjack/… www.hitorstand.net is a teaching site

this will allow you to play Blackjack for a large amount of time for basically very little money... bring comfy walking shoes, take plenty of pictures

enjoy your trip