We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid Payless Car Rental at McCarran

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
389 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid Payless Car Rental at McCarran

I made a reservation online and had a confirmation number sent to me. The price that was provided included all fees, charges and so forth, but when I went to pick the car up they wanted me to pay 3X my quote cost?

I went over to National and rented a car (without a reservation which means I am paying the highest rate) and it was still cheaper than what Payless wanted.

What can one do?

Special Offer
Deluxe Half-Day Hoover Dam Tour from...
47 reviews
from US$74.99*
US$99.00
Ultimate Hoover Dam Tour
1,669 reviews
from US$79.99*
Super Hoover Dam Express Tour
81 reviews
from US$79.99*
Hoover Dam Hummer Tour
278 reviews
from US$96.99*
1. Re: Avoid Payless Car Rental at McCarran

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 January 2012, 22:38
Acton, Canada
Level Contributor
11,584 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid Payless Car Rental at McCarran

Did they say why? If you have proof of confirmation they couldn't honor it? Was it for the extra insurance or something?

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid Payless Car Rental at McCarran

I would be happy that I paid the lower rate and move on...

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,075 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid Payless Car Rental at McCarran

They had a $10/day rate in PHX for some upcoming trips for us (which is unheard of, especially for pricey market PHX). As enticing as that sounded, we took a pass based on many reviews such as yours. I'm not sure either how they can not honor a written rate, but I don't want to find out.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,075 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid Payless Car Rental at McCarran

I agree ShowMe, but I'm glad for information such as this.

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid Payless Car Rental at McCarran

Yes, I would like to hear their excuse as well, especially if a written confirmation was presented to them.

My point was simply not to let this ruin their trip and be thankful that they got a lower rate if, in fact, this was lower than the original Payless confirmed rate. If not, I'd still be at the counter demanding that they honor it and the line would be backed up to Hoover Dam.

Level Contributor
3,517 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid Payless Car Rental at McCarran

ShowMe,

I believe the OP is saying his National price is less than what Payless was trying to charge on the spot, not what Payless had quoted initially.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid Payless Car Rental at McCarran

Correct - the National cost was more than the original Payless reservation amount but less than the amount that Payless wanted when I went to pick up.

The excuse was that they offer a low posted daily rate but that they had some surcharges on that amount that other companies build-into their posted rate. Garbage....

Anyone know how the people at the counter are paid? Do they get a bonus if they can up sell extra insurance, GPS units, the fill your car in advance rip-off, etc.? Was this guy trying to increase his sales number or earn a commission?

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid Payless Car Rental at McCarran

I think I covered that in the last part of my second respose. Unless they have a written confirmation handy, where is their leverage? Moving on to National indicates they didn't bring one. This is assumed, of course. If they had a written confirmation but just chose to not battle, then shame on both of them.

Reinforces the value of planning and covering one's bases in a cold, cruel corporate world.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,337 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoid Payless Car Rental at McCarran

AB_Travellor, I was curious after you posted your question in the Support forum.

So, what did Payless say when you showed them the copy of your confirmed online quote?