We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning parents anniversary trip

Gardendale, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning parents anniversary trip

Ok, my Dad is going to surprise my Mom with a trip to Vegas in April for their 35th Anniversary, 5 nights. We have the hotel picked out (Venetian, my Mom has always wanted to stay there). I need help in a few other areas. They are totally different from us (we are more big spenders and not as conservative in nature).

For shows I was thinking Terry Fator and Love. As stated above, my Dad is ultra conservative, so no crude humor or nudity for them! Any other suggestions?

My Dad wants to do a Hoover Dam tour. Any suggestions on tour companies?

Their budget for food is around $100 a day. They might splurge once for a little more, but the fine dining will not be on the budget. That being said, they both love steak. Any suggestions for moderately priced steaks?

That is enough questions for now, but I'm sure I will be back. Thanks in advance!

Grand Adventures Tours
Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours, Bus Tours
Maverick Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Red Electric Bike Tours
Bike Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,031 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning parents anniversary trip

Do you think they'd be offended by profanity? Jersey Boys is great and if they're the same age as us (also celebrating 35 years) the music would be perfect. But there's a lot of the F-word, but it's part of the show and really didn't bother me.

Gardendale, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning parents anniversary trip

That is exactly the kind of info I need! I will check with my Dad and see what his profanity tolerance is, lol.

Rancho Cucamonga
Level Contributor
9,744 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning parents anniversary trip

Next to Mirage is PALM at Caesars. Great Prime steaks moderately priced. I would recommend lunch time for the best bang for the buck (Businessmans lunch)

New York
Level Contributor
518 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning parents anniversary trip

We're in the same age group as your parents, and do not care for overt profanity, however Jersey Boys was a fabulous show and I highly recommend it. Great music, great story.

As for a reasonably priced steak place, I would recommend The Flame at El Cortez, downtown. The food was wonderful - great steaks!

Gardendale, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help planning parents anniversary trip

Thanks for the help!

Also need ideas for good ice cream or milkshake places. I was thinking Holsteins, but the awesomeness would be lost on my Dad. He is a chocolate person, only chocolate.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,031 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help planning parents anniversary trip

Max Brenner in the Forum Shops. Frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity. You can find chocolate everywhere, they're not going to exclude other flavors in most places. Jean-Phillippe Patisseries, Sugar Factory, there are no shortage of places for sweets.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help planning parents anniversary trip

the grande lux at palazzo has a large rib steak for $30 which they could share and is always wonderful.

includes a potato dish and we always just added a salad.

phantom show is there at venetian and its great.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help planning parents anniversary trip

We really enjoyed Bally's Steakhouse for a moderately priced steak dinner. Old Vegas atmosphere, great service and good food.

Jersey Boys would be wonderful for your parents. It's a great show!!!

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
220 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help planning parents anniversary trip

Same age as your parents also. My husband isn't big on profanity as well but he really enjoyed Jersey Boys. I bought the tickets in advance and chose seats one row back from the premium seats. They were great.

We also really enjoyed Human Nature at Imperial Palace. This is a group from Australia that sings Motown. They were fantastic. The showroom is not huge, so there is really not a bad seat. I would choose the booths or seating behind. There are long tables right by the stage but I could see people straining their necks or twisting around trying to see past the person next to them.

We also really enjoyed Le Reve (water show)more than O. Again not a bad seat in this smaller showroom..

Gardendale, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help planning parents anniversary trip

Sounds like Jersey Boys will be a good choice for them. Any suggestions on tour companies? Probably just a half day tour (if they have those) to the Hoover Dam, as my mother won't be going.