We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How easy is it to get an upgrade?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How easy is it to get an upgrade?

My husband and I are visiting Vegas to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary and his 50th birthday. We have booked the Bellagio as part of a flight/hotel package with British Airways. I was hoping the hotel might do something special for us (complementary upgrade etc.) but are not sure how to go about it. Do I contact British Airways, Bellagio directly or do I wait until I arrive and mention it when checking in? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How easy is it to get an upgrade?

Just mention it when checking in and they'll let you know if any complimentary upgrades are available. Keep in mind that a lot of people celebrate special occasions in Las Vegas so it's hard to accommodate special upgrades for all of those people.

Congrats on 20 years. I hope one day my husband and I can say the same. :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
499 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How easy is it to get an upgrade?

Wait until you check in at the front desk of the hotel. Tell the clerk that it is your 20th anniversary and his 50th bday and then ask if there are any complimentary upgrades available.

The worst thing they can say is no.

London
Level Contributor
515 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How easy is it to get an upgrade?

My wife and I stayed at bellagio for our honeymoon. We were in a salon suite and although we didn't get an actual room upgrade we did get a strip/fountain view. I asked if they could upgrade to next level room but she said no because we already in a suite. I got the impression that had we been in a standard room she would have done something.

Btw - I didn't pull the $20 trick so maybe this would help

NC
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How easy is it to get an upgrade?

Lots of other factors involved too, if you're arriving on a weekend or holiday etc then there may be no upgrades available. Just one thing to consider.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How easy is it to get an upgrade?

First, congrats on your 20th anniversary! Second, like others have said, it's a bit of a craps shoot. I would certainly ask for a complimentary upgrade and if there isn't one they may have upgrades available for a certain extra amount per night.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How easy is it to get an upgrade?

Theres a thread on the Airlines forum that asks the same, and the answer is...if its not special enough to you to pay for it, why would the airline think its special enough to give it for free?

However, having said that, we've been upgraded at the Paris to a corner fountain view suite for an anniversary, so who knows? We are going to Vegas next month to celebrate my 60th, and Hubby booked a fountain view room, cos its what he wanted....That way, we know we will get what we want.

You pay, or you take a chance,,,,

Have a great trip, whatever happens!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How easy is it to get an upgrade?

Thank you for taking the time to reply, your advice was very helpful.

Sun City West...
Level Contributor
3,777 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How easy is it to get an upgrade?

offer them a $20 sandwich. if they say no...you can always eat it.

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How easy is it to get an upgrade?

Keep in mind that lots of visitors are there for some special ocassion or another. And some who aren't will claim they are. Its worth a shot to ask, but don't be disappointed if you don't get it. If an upgrade to a nicer room is important, contact BA and see if you can pay for an upgraded room up front.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How easy is it to get an upgrade?

Think I will contact BA, just looked at the other rooms available and quite fancy trying a Salone or Bellagio suite. Thanks for all the responses.