We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children on planes and taxis

Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Children on planes and taxis

My husband & I love vegas. Before we had children we'd go 2 to 3 times a year. Now however, it's kind of difficult with two young toddlers to go anywhere. Last summer was the first time we left them both to get away. It was great. This summer however will be different. My husband has always dreamed of taking his parents to las vegas. This will be a dream trip for them since they have never been anywhere. However, they are our usual babysitters so one of our children will have to go with us while our other child stays with my mom. I suggested to my husband that we gift his parents this trip and send them on their way but he feels uncomfortable with this since his dad is sick and will be going to dialysis twice while there so we're doing with them. We will be taking our 3 year old daughter and leaving our 1 year old son with mom. We will be doing mostly sightseeing, eating, and shopping since his parents haven't ever gambled and don't seem interested in doing so. My Question----How do i handle my child while on the plane & taxis. Will she need a carseat and will I have to lug one back and forth? This will be our first big trip with her where we will travel by plane. Parents out there who have travelled with thier children--please advise--I'm very nervous about this but my husband is a great man and I want to make this trip as smooth as possile for him and his parents and our child. Thanks

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,442 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Children on planes and taxis

No unsolicited advice. She asked for advice and said she wanted to make it as smooth as possible for her husband, in-laws and kids. The best way to do that is to listen to WW.

If you are intent on doing the trip this way, rent a car with a car seat. Don't put your in-laws on buses. How his your FIL getting to dialysis anyway?

Texas
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: Children on planes and taxis

Thanks for your advise:) It will definately be a trip not soon forgotten. I'll let you know how it goes.

The dyalsis place is ten mins from the mgm so we might rent a car or just take a cab.

Romeoville, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Children on planes and taxis

SylviaTexas, I commend you taking your inlaws to Vegas for a wonderful vacation.

As for your husband wanting you to go with, I have to say it may be that he is nervous about going alone with them, due the sickness of his father. My husband was on dialysis for 4 years, and there were times when after a treatment he wasn't feeling really well, and needed someone who was familiar with his "symptoms" to be there for him. and dialysis at a new place can be stressful. You are talking about 4-6 hours on the machine, plus recovery time after. That would be a lot to expect from your MIL if she was traveling alone with him.

By all means, give your husband the support he seems to be asking for, and I know you will enjoy your visit. And, at 3 years old, your little one will certainly enjoy the trip also!!!

As to the car seat, just check it, a 3 year old can be fine in a regular seat, and as Misty1212 and Trulr2012 suggest, bring a DVD player, and a special back pack for the little one to have on the plane (and in the hotel room, too)

Have a great trip.

Edited: 18 January 2012, 04:28
34. Re: Children on planes and taxis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2013, 10:23