We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monorail to airport?

Sioux City, Iowa
Level Contributor
73 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Monorail to airport?

Ive looked up the map of the monorail. It shows it goes to & from the airport. Is this correct? Is it finished? Seems like this would be the most convenient & cheapest way to strip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monorail to airport?

No, the monorail goes from MGM to Sahara, with stops in between.

I believe the original plan was to extend it to the airport, but that never came to fruition. The monorail has been a big disappointment overall.

Taxi is most convenient.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,208 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monorail to airport?

Lani, I think you're probably either looking at a planning map or you misread it. Hehe. Definitely only goes as far south as MGM Grand.

The cheapest and most convenient ways from the airport to the Strip are not the same. I would be guessing a little bit about the cheapest but it's probably a shuttle or local bus. The most convenient is a taxi.

Sioux City, Iowa
Level Contributor
73 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monorail to airport?

Bummer. Yes if you look up their site, as well as a few others, it shows the airport.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
14,219 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monorail to airport?

Really? This www.lvmonorail.com/ride/route_map/index.html pretty clearly shows MGM as the last stop.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monorail to airport?

Monorail to airport? That would be too smart. Vegas Monorail is a perfect example of goverment regulated failure.

Las Vegas,
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Monorail to airport?

It depends on where exactly you're trying to get to on the strip. If you're going somewhere at the south end of the strip, I would suggest you take a taxi and tell the driver to take Paradise Road. If you're at the North end of the strip, you'll most likely go on the 215/15 freeway. There was a bad problem here with taxi drivers taking tourists the longest route to their hotel to increase the fare.

london
Level Contributor
231 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monorail to airport?

WAX bus will take you to the tropicana for $2 -

British airways charges slightly more !

Jersey
Level Contributor
31,600 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Monorail to airport?

I am not sure how convenient the monorail would be if it was only connected to the present (east side of the strip) hotels. Many of the stations are set way back from the strip so if you were staying on the west side, you would have a long walk from the station to the strip, then you would have to cross the strip and then get to your own hotel- dragging your luggage the whole way.

Sioux City, Iowa
Level Contributor
73 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monorail to airport?

Your right...just looked it up again. "Fine print"...areas "closest to". Sheesh I guess that would of been silly of them to build it to the airport -haha. Staying at IP, probably take a shuttle. Heard too many negative responses about taxi's ripping people off. Thanks guys :)

vegas
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monorail to airport?

no airport stops is one of the reasons they will be shutting down soon