We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

virgin from london

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
204 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
virgin from london

Looking to book seats from london in premium economy.Virgin price is £1004.The economy ticket is £586 per person..Does anyone know how much it is likely to be per person to upgrade on arrival at the airport if they have seats?Just wondered as its double the price to book premium on web.Has anyone ever upgrade at airport on this route and what did it cost?Thanks in advance

Kent
Level Contributor
248 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: virgin from london

Virgin Economy isnt much better then economy. I would rather save £500 in my pocket/towards hotel or gamble.

Hailsham, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: virgin from london

Foc when i went to Vegas in 09, i paid to upgrade at the airport & it cost me £300 per person, and that was in Feb.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: virgin from london

The cost to upgrade at the airport can vary massively. I've seen it as low as £150, but also as high as £500. There is no set price.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: virgin from london

Premium in the bubble of a jumbo is worth it, it almost seems as though you are on a private jet. On any other plane Premium is just a wider seat and not worth it. I have been quoted upwards of £200 to upgrade at the airport, I was however allowed to purchase for $60 coming back from DC once and also got it for nothing coming back from Boston.

Brighton
Level Contributor
257 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: virgin from london

I think we paid about £150 each, each way

Edited: 24 January 2012, 10:27
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: virgin from london

Upstairs on the 747 is definitely worth the extra price for Premium Economy.

As well as the wider seats and extra legroom, you will also receive dedicated check-in, priority boarding, priority baggage, extra baggage allowance, boarding drinks, PE meals and you will off the plane before all the Y passengers so beating the queue at immigration.

It's up to you whether you think it's worth paying for.

Dewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: virgin from london

We get all the above on Delta Economy Comfort and its only £50 each way on top of the ecomomy price....cost us £595 last year all in from Manchester......

Rather pay £595 than over £1000 each for roughly the same.

(we loved the sky priority check in)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: virgin from london

Virgin from London?

You don't see many of them...............

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: virgin from london

Barrassyard - I just had a quick look on Delta Economy Comfort and I can see nothing a like to the Virgin Premium Economy product. Hence why there is such a big difference in price.

The Delta Economy Comfort is similar to Virgin Economy with extra legroom seats which costs an extra £30-50 which is comparable to Delta.

Apart from that the two products are nothing a like.

With Delta Economy Comfort, you don't get dedicated check-in desks. You don't get wider seats, you don't get extra 23kg free baggage allowance, you don't get priority baggage, you don't get priory boarding, you don't get premium meals. Basically you don't get anything except extra legroom. Oh and apparently you get free alcohol but most longhaul European airlines include that anyway.

You even have to pay to have your preferred seating with Delta.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 15:16
Dewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: virgin from london

I always use Delta Economy Comfort and...

You get SKY Priority check in and baggage collection.....

U get 23kg Baggage allowance

You get cocktails and spirits included

you get 50% extra recline..

As stated above Premium Economy isnt much better than economy on Virgins tired old planes..With Delta you dont get a premium meal but the one i had on Virgin was far from Premium.

So i would get a bit wider seat with Virgin for over £400 more? :-(

Edited: 24 January 2012, 16:58