We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegas Cab Drivers

Auburn, AL
Level Contributor
81 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Vegas Cab Drivers

Why is it so damn hard for Nevada to police the cab drivers? It seems like every trip report I read the cabbie is screwing someone over. Why can't the taxi authority control them? It is getting worse and worse.

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegas Cab Drivers

Too many cabs on the road and they're all trying to optimize their profits by getting the longest possible fares.

Auburn, AL
Level Contributor
81 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegas Cab Drivers

I understand that but if you really wanted to put an end to long hauling the process of filing a complaint would not be so difficult. They would actually impose a fine that would have drivers think twice about doing it and they would do a better job of policing it.

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
409 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegas Cab Drivers

And the dishonest drivers assume that most passengers are ignorant about what it should cost to go from one place to another, how to report being long hauled, etc. And they are correct in assuming this. Other than those of us who read this forum, who else would know they were being taken advantage of? Vacationers are easy to scam for a variety of reasons.

Saint Joseph...
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegas Cab Drivers

Auburn ..... Have you ever had a problem with an LV cabbie? I've been to LV 30+ times and NEVER had a problem.

There are certain topics in the Travel Forum world that I believe are bigger issues in the 'forum' than they are in actuality.

SGF, MO
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegas Cab Drivers

Well, see it starts with who knows who and who knows what, then one hand washing another, and a bunch of cash that never makes the table top, then there's appointments (not the dental kind), and then you've got nepotism, bribery and blackmail within a good ol' boy network...

Auburn, AL
Level Contributor
81 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegas Cab Drivers

"Auburn ..... Have you ever had a problem with an LV cabbie? I've been to LV 30+ times and NEVER had a problem."

Yes I have actually. Last trip to be exact. And that is the problem, people just accept it and are ok with getting screwed. Why should you have to give the cab driver $10 extra bucks? Just because that is the way it is? No thank you.

San Diego
Level Contributor
5,131 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegas Cab Drivers

I have ridden in a number of cabs in vegas and never had a problem. once we got stuck in a real live traffic jam due to unscheduled construction and the cabbie apologized that it coast more and took so lone. not anywhere near their fault.

Here is what happens in alot of cases.

people fly in and they are on guard. The cabbie is foreign and they are right away scared because there is a language barrier because of his accent.

They feel like they got screwed because someone on here told them its only about $8 to get to Mirage from the airport.

yourstarla
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vegas Cab Drivers

You don't have to give the cab driver that extra ten bucks. Tell the driver exactly how you want to go. You have the right to dictate route. I always do. :)

Burbank
Level Contributor
4,519 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vegas Cab Drivers

"And that is the problem, people just accept it and are ok with getting screwed." - DId you just accept "getting screwed'?

There have been many reports of visitors not accepting it and taking action and seeing results, and many other stories from folks who claimed to be "ripped off" when in reality the story falls apart upon questioning by more frequent travelers. Many people go through life as wanna-be victims, hoping, searching and relishing that climactic moment when they can come to a public forum and ooze their indignation all over the internet.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vegas Cab Drivers

I've ridden in a lot of cabs in a lot of places all over the world... As far as ive seen Vegas drivers are about on par with most places around the world, even places that have strict rules.

Short of Vegas imposing some kind of zone system, some people will always end up getting scammed. Too many cabs and too many people who don't know whats going on.

A simple "No tunnel please" totally erases the airport long haul, or give directions at starla suggested... Personally I can never remember what the "right" roads out of the aiport are, but most people are better than me at that ;)