We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Advice: Mt Charleston or ?

Which Las Vegas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
254 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip Advice: Mt Charleston or ?

Hi, just helping my sister and parents who are going to LV by 1st time in two weeks.

My father is Geologist and my sister Biologist so they already book a tour to GC with Grand Adventures Tour (I do it 2 years ago is great) that includes a stop at Hoover Dam and they also would take another day to drive by their own to Lake Mead and Valley Of Fire.

They still have one 1 day available for a day trip, not sure so I've been reading a lot but still have some doubts, probably the option would be Mt Charleston but never been there so not sure, any other place you suggest or this seems to be the best option?

The other options that discard are the Valley of Death ( too far), Red Rock (read it’s not so spectacular after visiting VDF) and not sure that St George worth the drive and scenic when compare it to Mt Charleston.

Thanks for your help.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip Advice: Mt Charleston or ?

Not really the best time of year for Mt Charleston. Cold up there... may even be too much snow covering the trails.

I suspect a geologist would find the rocks at Red Rock interesting, even after going to Valley of Fire.

I suspect you'll judge Zion to be "too far". But if you can fit it in, the rocks are amazing.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,977 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip Advice: Mt Charleston or ?

Maybe go to Willow Beach Arizona, and rent a motorboat, and go back up the canyon toward Hoover Dam.

See the catwalks bolted to the canyon walls, the gauging station used during dam construction.

Google a place called Little Finland Nevada. Your geologist father would get a kick out of what are called the Hobgoblins. Those are on BLM land out beyond Valley of Fire.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 21:41
las vegas
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip Advice: Mt Charleston or ?

Death valley is very easily a day trip. It's a great time of year to go there. Very different scenery from the other two.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip Advice: Mt Charleston or ?

I second the idea of Death Valley. Perfect day trip.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip Advice: Mt Charleston or ?

I second the idea of Death Valley. Perfect day trip.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,977 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip Advice: Mt Charleston or ?

Death Valley is a pretty easy daytrip if you leave early. Here are pics from the east side during a trip over new years. The colors at Artists Palette are pretty cool.

https:/…

Edited: 05 March 2012, 04:24
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
254 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip Advice: Mt Charleston or ?

Hi and thanks everyone for your recommendations. I thought that Zion (looks beautiful) would be my decision but when Dez40 (Zion expert) and Norgetroll (seems as you visit Zion frequently) recommends me DV well you are the experts!!!

So as I mentioned sadly I'm not visiting LV only my parents with my sister so she is gonna drive and I prefer that she don't drive at night so some please your help with some additional questions:

1) Could you recommend me a lodging option close to Death Valley under $150?

2) The driving time from LV to DV its like 3 hours that's correct?

3) So probably they'll have almost 1 day to explore DV, they must arrive around 11a.m. and they'll depart around 11a.m the next day, what would be the must to do for day 1 and 2?

Really appreciate all your advice!!!

Thanks

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,977 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip Advice: Mt Charleston or ?

I love DV but given the option , I would pick Zion.It just wasn't on your list!Zion is just shy of three hours from Vegas.

LV to Furnace Creek is like 2.5 hours.There is lodging at Furnace Creek Inn$$ or Furnace Creek Ranch,more of a motel.Lodging in Pahrump and Beatty too.Lodging in Amargosa near the opera house looked pretty dumpy to me.If you come in thru Beatty you could also see Rhyolite ghost town.I think I paid about $60 for a room at Motel 6 in Beatty.The motels in DV were sold out when I went.

I drove all the way across DV from the Sierras near Lone Pine and ended for the night in Beatty.These pics show the first day, with the sand dunes and Rhyolite.

https:/…

Edited: 05 March 2012, 05:28
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
254 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip Advice: Mt Charleston or ?

They'll visit Zion with a nigth stay at Zion Lodge, thanks for al your help seems like a beautiful place, in my case wish to visit it someday!!!

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip Advice: Mt Charleston or ?

If u have one night to stay i will try to see bryce canyon as well, just as spectacular or even more beautiful than Zion, but on a different perspective!

If you leave vegas early like 6 am you will be at zion at 9 am explore zion for 6 hours then drive to bryce sLeep either at bryce lodge or rubys inn and explore bryce in the morning before u leave. You only need couple hours to see the majesty of bryce but its so worth it! The drive from zion to bryce through mt carmel tunnel is one of the most scenic and amazing drives i've ever seen in the world!

Of course this is just my opinion. If you think you won't be back in america soon this is how i'll do it.

Enjoyand have fun!